1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Suprised
By TAM on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I am a Gm man and when I drove the Explorer, I was hooked. It drives great, the V8 is powerful and reliable and it loves gas. The interior is laid out convienently. I will buy another Ford Explorer the next time around.

200000 and Going Strong......
By bmmeup on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought Car from dealership with 16000 on it and put 184000 miles on the highway with it. Hasn't given any problems. Keep the oil changed every 3000 miles and put tires every 40000 or so and go skiing and everywhere else.

Living with our Explorer
By mac merritt on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This Explorer has been phenominally dependable.Only once in 7 years was it necessary to visit service dealer. Fixed loose hose in 40 minutes.Has been serviced regularly (oil change, tires, air filter, etc.)Now has 4 brand new Michelin tires (1 month old). Car slightly sideswiped in parking lot. Extremely light damage..almost unnoticeable..on right rear door. Hit a deer once..completely replaced front bumper assembly..no other damage.

More time in shop than on road
By bisjoe on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at 80k miles,after 2 weeks had check engine light, turned out to be cracked head. Determined to be factory defect! Had head replaced, new one sucked a valve into piston. Dealer paid for new long block. Since then had another check engine light, apparently tech damaged gasket on EGR when swapping engine. Paranoid now, always looking for that orange "check engine".

Happy
By config on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased it used but had nothing but positive experiences with it. Now has 110K reliable miles on it.

reliable
By sugar04em on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

All in all, this has been a very reliable vehicle. It is my dad's car, but I'm the only one who drives it and it's my first car. It has 114,000 miles on it now and I'm taking it from NY to FL this summer, and I'm pretty confident that it will do fine.

Clutch Unbelievably Bad
By bhburton on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Stiff clutch must be pushed all the way to the floor, still doesn't quite disengage. Miserable to shift from neutral to 1st at stoplight. Won't enter 1st without great effort. But it's my first SUV and I love sitting higher where I can see the traffic!

1996 Ford Explorer
By Michael Scott on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the vehicle for winter trips over the Sierra Nevada Mountains (I-80). Chains are often required. 4x4's are exempt. I have driven this vehicle through several bad snow storms and it has never broken loose. Snow performance is excellent.

Never Had One Problem
By mayday on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

When we bought our Explorer, it was already 5 years old with 80K miles. Through a title check, we discovered that it had been a rental vehicle. I'm not sure if it was the rental company's regular maitenance or the quality of this vehicle, but we have never had one mechanical problem with it. It is currently 109K miles and 7 years old, so that's pretty good! The only downside to this vehicle for me is the leg space in the rear. We are a family of four, & it gets crowded.

1996 Ford Explorer
By tomkeith on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV has been a great vehicle. I would buy one again, and plan to. I would also recommend to others