Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Had it since new stil like new
By sealerdave

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1996 Explorer new in 1996 we have had no trouble at all except the panel on the drivers side electronic buttons broke I bought the mount and fixed it. Really my wife will not drive the 2005 I bought last year. She likes "Her Baby" with 55,000 miles on it. After 11 years in CA, I guess it's just about "Run In". Great SUV's very dependable. Not a bit of rust and never a scratch.

Driving turning and radius, 4 wheel drive, nice acceleration. Well made

A little hard on the ride over bumps (4 wheel drive )

A Plum
By CarD

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

This vehicle has never caused me the slightest heartache or problem. Beyond the expected ravages of time (hoses, slight rust, etc.) I have never had a mechanical or performance issue.

Perfect vehicle size, not too large nor too small.

A little more engine strength and heavier tail end.

Drives
By whoswho

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I had this car for a little over a year. I had little to no complaints until recently. This car is great for day to day however it is dangerous in a accident. The narrow wheel base on this year is prone to rollover and leaves you with no options to really avoid an accident.

Powerful engine, great interior.

Gas! If you want a Explorer get one of the newer models with the improved stability.

Love my Explorer
By hiyall

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought my Explorer new and have loved it for almost 11 years. It has performed like a champ on LA roads and in mountain and snow conditions. Recently, had to have radiator replaced 3x. It seems the new replacement Ford radiators are no good. They have each still been under warranty but the last one was only one day from being out of warranty. Sadly, I now plan to replace my Explorer because I don't want to chance having to replace the radiator again on my dime. This truck has really hauled everything for me and rides especially well when the back is loaded. If you are thinking of a '96 Explorer I say go for it. Mine still performs well & looks great inside and out.

Reliability, Truck-tuff with comfortable car-like interior.

Heater vent needs to be moved so that it doesn't pump directly on your accelerator foot. I have literally felt like I was burning my foot in order to get enough warmth in the cabin.

Very dependable vehicle
By configsys

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 96 Explorer XLT used with approx. 65K miles. Shipped it overseas where we drove it ALL OVER Europe and put over 70K trouble-free miles during the 3 years we were there. Just regular maintenance. My 18 year old daughter now drives it and it has almost 140K miles. Still young with lots of long miles left. This has been the most dependable vehicle we have owned.

Styling and dependability.