1996 Ford Explorer Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

'96 XLT
By Renae

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoyed my Explorer. It corners well, is well balanced, therefore travels in snow & on ice REAL WELL. Mine has a tow package and overdrive feature. I have towed 4000# a few times, pulls comfortably on the level, slow on inclines but what else do you expect with a 4.0 litre engine?

Favorite Features

Power bucket seats! These are the MOST comfortable I have had in any vehicle I've driven. Cruise is on the right lever (real convenient)

Unparalleled reliability
By molllibbburg

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Traded SUV with in-laws in 7/03, so I know the history. After 130,000 miles, it just had its first repair (excluding maintenance) - a water pump. V8 runs great and starts every time. Drove from Miami to Chicago in July and then to S. Carolina in December. Would buy another (with V8 only). Mileage is acceptable and some interior components are cheap and deteriorate from sun rays.

Favorite Features

Power and height.

Suggested Improvements

Paint is oxidized, faded and beginning to peel. Some plastic components have melted from sun.

Great Car
By Trifecta Show

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the explorer. Only bad thing is the terrible as mileage(mine is a 5 liter V8 and I get about 13 miles/gallon on average. Oherwise great car.

Favorite Features

6 disc cd changer, sun roof, infla seats

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!!

love my explorer
By hunypooh777

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i got it with 96,000 on it and it looked and drove like new. now has 108,000 have only changed o2 sensor, oil and trans fluid. oh yea the front end squeaked like crazy when i got it and the dealer replaced front shocks and grease fittings. havent had any real problems...has been pretty reliable. was comfy when we went from nj to fl and back.

Favorite Features

love the control track 4x4...great on ice and snow. the rear heat/air is great for kids. lots of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

well my hubbys f-150 rides a whole lot smoother. could use better gas mileage.

best auto that i ever owned
By cousin vinny

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

this was my first 4x4.the ride in rough terrain was a pleasure to experience.the controls are well layed out and easy to use..it rides like a truck,cause it is a truck.i owned this vehicle for 7 years and it never failed when the weather was bad..best truck for the money

Favorite Features

i would have to say ,some of my favorite feature would be the side steps for getting in and out of the vehicle.the moonroof was a must have option.4x4 on the fly without getting out of the vehicle was also nice

Dependable Ford Explorer
By jeradoh

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Well built, easy to maintain, safe vehicle.

Favorite Features

On the fly 4WD

I love my Explorer
By SusieQsSUV

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I enjoy driving the Explorer. It's comfortable, dependable and great on gas mileage. It's stylish.

Favorite Features

Six Changer CD... the rear A/C, Heat and Radio controls.. the convenience of switching to 4WD with a flip of a switch.. you don't have to get out of your truck!

built ford tough
By justexploring

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Eplorer brand new for business travel purposes. I was getting more than 20k miles a year on it, and at the same time had hardly any problems. Keeping up on maitainance sure makes a difference in performance. It now has a little over 150k mile, and still running very well. Very comfortable, even when driving a few hours on the road. Handles very well on corners. The "Check Engine" light started bleeping when it hit 120k miles. Been going off and on since, but hasn't altered the performance. Mechanics havent figured whats the problem though. Very pleased, and would consider buy another explorer, when the time comes.

Favorite Features

Feel confident in ice/snow conditions. a trusty 4wd rig. Very comfortable, especially with leather seating. A lot of space for a midsive suv. RELIABILTY!

Suggested Improvements

As always with suvs...needs better gas mileage. Gets about 17 driving around town, and 22 on the highway.

Hate to Sell
By MatthewMitchell

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used with 10,000 mile and factory warranty remaining. Have never had a problem. Replaced the tires (Firestone was original), Ford even paid for these. Replaced the battery and brakes, and it runs forever with regular tune-ups. The ride is bumpy due to the big tires and sitting so high off the ground, but in snow this is the car you want to have.

Favorite Features

Side steps to get in and out of the car are helpful.

Suggested Improvements

For the money, I couldn't ask for any changes. This car is a great value.

Great SUV
By GregS

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Explorer has been quite reliable, never had anything break on it. Got rid of the Firestone tires, now happily running Michelins. I used to live in Colorado, and the 4WD worked fine there, though the front wheels were skittish when making tight turns with 4WD engaged. Here in balmy Southern California, the sunroof is always open and the air conditioner works well. I'm starting to have wind noise around the driver's window. Also, the front left speaker drops out now and then when I go over a bump. Overall, it's been a great SUV, a huge improvement ofer the 86 GMC Jimmy it replaced.

Favorite Features

The cloth seats are among my favorite features, they've been durable, cool, and comfortable over the years. Also love the keypad entry so I can lock my keys in the console while hiking or running.

Suggested Improvements

Auto-shut on the sunroof.