1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Unparalleled reliability
By molllibbburg on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Traded SUV with in-laws in 7/03, so I know the history. After 130,000 miles, it just had its first repair (excluding maintenance) - a water pump. V8 runs great and starts every time. Drove from Miami to Chicago in July and then to S. Carolina in December. Would buy another (with V8 only). Mileage is acceptable and some interior components are cheap and deteriorate from sun rays.

Great Car
By Trifecta Show on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the explorer. Only bad thing is the terrible as mileage(mine is a 5 liter V8 and I get about 13 miles/gallon on average. Oherwise great car.

love my explorer
By hunypooh777 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i got it with 96,000 on it and it looked and drove like new. now has 108,000 have only changed o2 sensor, oil and trans fluid. oh yea the front end squeaked like crazy when i got it and the dealer replaced front shocks and grease fittings. havent had any real problems...has been pretty reliable. was comfy when we went from nj to fl and back.

best auto that i ever owned
By cousin vinny on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

this was my first 4x4.the ride in rough terrain was a pleasure to experience.the controls are well layed out and easy to use..it rides like a truck,cause it is a truck.i owned this vehicle for 7 years and it never failed when the weather was bad..best truck for the money

Dependable Ford Explorer
By jeradoh on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Well built, easy to maintain, safe vehicle.

I love my Explorer
By SusieQsSUV on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I enjoy driving the Explorer. It's comfortable, dependable and great on gas mileage. It's stylish.

built ford tough
By justexploring on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Eplorer brand new for business travel purposes. I was getting more than 20k miles a year on it, and at the same time had hardly any problems. Keeping up on maitainance sure makes a difference in performance. It now has a little over 150k mile, and still running very well. Very comfortable, even when driving a few hours on the road. Handles very well on corners. The "Check Engine" light started bleeping when it hit 120k miles. Been going off and on since, but hasn't altered the performance. Mechanics havent figured whats the problem though. Very pleased, and would consider buy another explorer, when the time comes.

Hate to Sell
By MatthewMitchell on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car used with 10,000 mile and factory warranty remaining. Have never had a problem. Replaced the tires (Firestone was original), Ford even paid for these. Replaced the battery and brakes, and it runs forever with regular tune-ups. The ride is bumpy due to the big tires and sitting so high off the ground, but in snow this is the car you want to have.

Great SUV
By GregS on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Explorer has been quite reliable, never had anything break on it. Got rid of the Firestone tires, now happily running Michelins. I used to live in Colorado, and the 4WD worked fine there, though the front wheels were skittish when making tight turns with 4WD engaged. Here in balmy Southern California, the sunroof is always open and the air conditioner works well. I'm starting to have wind noise around the driver's window. Also, the front left speaker drops out now and then when I go over a bump. Overall, it's been a great SUV, a huge improvement ofer the 86 GMC Jimmy it replaced.

My Explorer Experience
By Range Rover on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Ford Explorer was my first American auto after I sold my Range Rover. I bought this hardy lorry with 125000 miles and have only had a few minor problems that were easy fixes. Even at $40000 less than a Rover it still is a better lorry. It feels like it will never quit on me and I am putting aftermarket parts on it like it was a new auto. It looks like an expensive auto on the inside and All-American on the outside.