Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

What a great vehicle!
By Great Vehicle

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned many automobiles over the years and this one is by far the most reliable. It now has about 170,000 miles on it and has never needed anything outside of the typical routine maintenance schedule. The 4.0L is not the greatest on gas (although I have seen as high as 19-20 MPG on long trips) it shows no signs of tiring anytime soon. Still has the original exhaust sytem! Amazing. While the vehicle has just started to rust a bit, I cannot let go yet to buy a new vehicle. It is nearly worthless on the books as a trade. I will probably drive this until the body falls off! Sure home my next purchase treats me as well. Great job Ford!

Incredibly reliable. Great in snow. Very versitile. Tireless 4.0L engine and seemingly bulletproof tranny. Shift on the fly 4WD.

Slightly better mileage for every day driving.

One long time owner
By TS

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned my Explorer for almost 12 years now, since new. It has nearly 150,000 miles on it. It's been very reliable, requiring less than the normal amount of maintenance of other vehicles I've owned. It's now my extra third vehicle, and I use it often for truck like duties such as trailer hauling and moving my daughter to and from college. If and when I need a new SUV, it'll be another Explorer, a true truck SUV.

Power everything is nice. The rear seat radio controls have been often used as the kids grew up.

More attention to rust prone areas in the rocker panels and rear wheel lips so my 12 year old Explorer could go 25 years!

SUV Self-Cannibalism
By Angelos

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

In 12 years and 115K miles of not-so-hard driving, our $36,000 Exploder has eaten its transmission, eaten its torque converter, has blown out its manifold gaskets and has cracked a cylinder head. I expect to replace items such as starters, alternators, shocks, even Air Mass Meters and O2 sensors. But I cannot abide a vehicle that self-destructs major systems years and tens of thousands of miles before the end of their standard service lives under relatively easy use. If I could sell our Exploder to the Marines to use for target practice, I'd do it in a New York minute.

Cargo capacity Snow-ice capability

Make the bean counters who ordered the flywheel to be made from glorified aluminum foil to pay for replacement torque converters. Ditto for the cracked cylinder heads, a problem that Ford supposedly fixed before 1996. HA!

Great Vehicle
By Dan Giesen

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I drive this to work all week. Pull our boat all summer and haul my hockey player all over Wisconsin in the winter. The Ford Explorer is by far the best SUV out there.

I really like the comfortable seats and the way it handles. The a/c and heat are fantastic. The 4WD is great in the snow and for those times when I have to take it off-roading.

The rocker panel on the right rear will rust out over time after 10 years of road salt eats at it, the rest of the vehicle is rust free after 11 Wisconsin winters.

Had it since new stil like new
By sealerdave

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1996 Explorer new in 1996 we have had no trouble at all except the panel on the drivers side electronic buttons broke I bought the mount and fixed it. Really my wife will not drive the 2005 I bought last year. She likes "Her Baby" with 55,000 miles on it. After 11 years in CA, I guess it's just about "Run In". Great SUV's very dependable. Not a bit of rust and never a scratch.

Driving turning and radius, 4 wheel drive, nice acceleration. Well made

A little hard on the ride over bumps (4 wheel drive )