1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Love my Explorer
By GregTT on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Explorer new in late '95 and its been very reliable ever since. Just basic maintenance, brakes, tires. O2 sensor replaced a while back but that was pretty cheap. 86000 miles now and still going strong.

'96 XLT V8 after 8 years & 120,000 miles
By Clockmaker on 06/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This has been an extremely reliable vehicle. It's never been out of service. Most miles are highway at or above speed limits, but quite a few are off-road in Colorado mountains. The ride is not very good on-highway and is jarring off-road. AWD is faultless. Overall MPG about 16-17, OK considering CO winter fuel. Interior and exterior design were state-of-the-art when bought,are still OK but dated.Interior still makes sense. I rate performance high because it has always done what I asked- towed trailers, off-roaded, passed in tight situations, stopped well in emergency situations. I still haven't added a quart of oil between changes. Result: my next SUV will be an Explorer.

124K...and still smiling...
By isabel on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Seven years ago, found my Eddie Bauer with 10K, loved the drive, the computer/systems check, the moonroof & cockpit style interior, Picked up the girls from practice and took it for a test drive. A thumbs up from the back seat - cushy leather, stereo controls, a/c vents, cup holders and plenty of cargo space for bags. Consumer Reports it a good rating, price was right...so we made the deal...seven years later I still smile everytime I get behind the wheel. It's been an extremely reliable and cost efficient vehicle and we still love it. Good design never goes out of style!

Run Away Fast
By buy another car on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Nothing but problems.Oil leak under chain cover ($525) Transmission ($2500) Steering column broke ($310.00) + 2 recalls, & many little things. Disappointing vehicle. Never buy Ford again. Will buy Toyota to get a real car. Mechanic who fixed steering wheel said Ford told him that the Fords have alot of problems with this steering wheel problem. I went to turn off my car and my key just flipped around & then it would not turn off my accessories. It was not my starter it is Actuators and Assy Bracket. My suggestion is buy another car.There are many more out there that are better than the Ford Explorer and Ford all together. Gas mileage stinks to.

it sucks
By me2999999999 on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

run away from this vehicle

Reliable and powerful
By cssharkey on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this '96 Explorer used in '98. Only problem with it was a sticky gas pedal ($80 fix) and "Check Engine" light refused to go off until fixed by dealer. Other than that, for the past six years it's been just regular maintenance. My V8's got plenty of power - but not having 4x4 has hurt me a few times. It's a bit too light in the back in the snow/ice. But for decent conditions, this cars done been what's been asked of it.

SUV has lasted despite recalls
By C. Bright on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My '96 Explorer still looks good & drives well. It hasn't been driven hard - it's spent more days at the airport than off-roading. I get an oil change every 5,000 miles or so and I haven't spent much time at all at the repair shop (new brake pads and a new thermostat). It's been recalled twice: once because of the infamous Firestone tires, and once for for something having to do a weak front stabilzer bar link (granted, both pretty serious). I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the way it drove until after I replaced the Firestone tires with 4 brand new Michelins. They made a huge difference in stability and handling.

I will buy another one in few years
By nickzmm on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought vehicle with 23k miles, now has 143k. Other than front hub failure at 64k ($400) and premature front brake/rotor wear out (my fault for not taking to Ford dealer)($700 total) car has been very reliable. Changed fluids, etc. at recommended intervals at Jiffy Lube. Has not used a drop of oil. Tuned up at 80k. Runs great and expect to keep for another couple of years. V6 engine has enough power for my use and not too bad on milage (15.92 m/g over the last 1100 miles).

Looking for #6
By Gimme the V-8 on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This is the fifth Explorer we have owned, and we're looking for #6. I have NEVER been stranded by an Explorer. Our '96 with V8 AWD is a true workhorse. Handles snow, hills and rough roads like a champ. Still had my 95 EB V-6 when we bought this one. No comparison between powertrains. We both have V-8 AWD now, and will always buy them. 96 XLT now has 118k miles and never needed a major repair. Built Ford tough!

'96 XLT
By Renae on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoyed my Explorer. It corners well, is well balanced, therefore travels in snow & on ice REAL WELL. Mine has a tow package and overdrive feature. I have towed 4000# a few times, pulls comfortably on the level, slow on inclines but what else do you expect with a 4.0 litre engine?