Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Never let me down
By Ted Sz

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer XLT 4WD new 13 years ago. I've maintained it myself for 151,000 miles. I've changed the AT fluid and filter every 30,000 miles and have had no transmission issues. It does chatter when dropping out of OD, but only when another transmission fluid change is due. I've always used Mobil One ATF. I recently did a lot of work on it because, although it's worth less than $2K on the books, it runs like new. I replaced the upper and lower ball joints last fall. I also found an A/C leak and fixed it myself. My brother the HVAC pro pressure tested, evacuated and charged it. Blows ice cold again! Heater blend door is a common failure, $9 part and about eight hours labor!

Favorite Features

Good looks, comfortable on long trips, reliable. The Cologne V6 is rock solid. I also have the 2.8L Cologne in my 1976 Mercury Capri II.

Suggested Improvements

Better rust proofing in the rocker panels and rear wheel lips. Better design on heater blend door. Everything underneath that is powder coated should be galvanized instead.

TANK
By red

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

This is my first American vehicle and will NOT be my last (Ford). This thing is a WORK HORSE. I pull a 3500lb trailer every weekend and it has done this for the last 3 1/2 years. Very reliable. I have 130k on it and look forward to 75k more

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

tighter suspension. Better looking trim inside

They don't build 'em like this anymore..
By NMR

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV with 150,000 miles. I now have almost 180,000. The only 'major' repair I have had is with the transmission...a solenoid that cost $200. Other than that, I have experienced only typical maintenance issues: exhaust, brakes/rotors, O2 sensor, plugs/wires...which most can be done by the average DIYer. To the poster with 240k+ miles: if you have that MANY miles on a (American) suv and you aren't happy, then you will never be happy with any vehicle. I have been looking to buy a new vehicle for the past year and based upon reviews, I will be sure to keep this one as a backup. I cannot say much bad about this SUV...IMO the Explorer is an A+ concept that ended when Ford redesigned.

Favorite Features

Dual air bags, enormous cargo space (ability to transport 10+ sheets of 4x8 sheetrock), premium sound system, low maintenance costs.

Suggested Improvements

N/A

1996 Ford explorer 4DR XLT
By Anthony Arpino

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

At present 145000 miles. Replaced lower ball joints 2X under warranty. Replaced with the ball joints that can be lubricated. Gas mileage has improved since increasing tire preasure to 32 to 35 lbs. (18 to 23 miles per gal highway). I wish it was better. Also use a good fuel injector cleaner every 3000 miles. I have serviced the transmission every 12 to 15000 miles & so far no problems. I find it a comfortable & fun vechile to drive. Excellent handling in snow. One other problem was the thermostate. I had to replace it 4 times. If yours needs to be replaced ask for a heavy duty one that is made in the USA. The automatic choke in the winter kills your gas mileage, since it is temperature sensative

Favorite Features

Comfortable drivers seat. Sun roof. Electric mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Better undercoating aganist rust. More space between the accelerator and brake pedal. Better gas mileage.

If I could change one thing
By Frankm

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

We have a 2WD XLT with the 5.0 engine and it has been great vehicle with no serious issues. My only gripe is that there is no camber adjustment for the front end alignment and it eats front tires something awful.

Favorite Features

Front seats with pull out thigh supports. Simply fantastic on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Better front end alignment adjustability