1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Drives
By whoswho on 03/24/07 18:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I had this car for a little over a year. I had little to no complaints until recently. This car is great for day to day however it is dangerous in a accident. The narrow wheel base on this year is prone to rollover and leaves you with no options to really avoid an accident.

Love my Explorer
By hiyall on 03/05/07 15:38 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought my Explorer new and have loved it for almost 11 years. It has performed like a champ on LA roads and in mountain and snow conditions. Recently, had to have radiator replaced 3x. It seems the new replacement Ford radiators are no good. They have each still been under warranty but the last one was only one day from being out of warranty. Sadly, I now plan to replace my Explorer because I don't want to chance having to replace the radiator again on my dime. This truck has really hauled everything for me and rides especially well when the back is loaded. If you are thinking of a '96 Explorer I say go for it. Mine still performs well & looks great inside and out.

Very dependable vehicle
By configsys on 10/08/06 17:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 96 Explorer XLT used with approx. 65K miles. Shipped it overseas where we drove it ALL OVER Europe and put over 70K trouble-free miles during the 3 years we were there. Just regular maintenance. My 18 year old daughter now drives it and it has almost 140K miles. Still young with lots of long miles left. This has been the most dependable vehicle we have owned.

Great Car
By Mike on 08/18/06 09:30 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

We just passed 195,000 miles on this car and it still runs great. It has served my family well. The only problem we've encountered is a squeaking noise in the suspension that we cannot get rid of. It's a "cosmetic" problem as it doesn't affect the ride or handling. The body is great, not a sign of rust on the car that spent its first five years out in the elements of the northeast 24/7 (no garage).

Almost 200K Miles Later...
By dr.girlfriend on 06/29/06 11:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The 1996 Ford Explorer XLT (V6) has definitely been the finest car I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. (My dad says "I can't believe that car has been so good to you!" He's jealous). I bought it used with a little less than 75K miles on it, and now it has over 180K, and still running strong. No major mechanical problems, and has never went one morning without starting right up. I've been all around the country with it. The value on paper is soooooo far below what it's REALLY worth! I would recommend this fantastically-performing car to anyone who wants something reliable, roomy, nice-looking, and lovable.

Drivin' this 1 'til bottom falls out!
By LoveMySUV on 03/11/06 09:56 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Original owner, love this vehicle. I will cry the day I have to get rid of it. I've had NO issues, repairs, etc. other than regular maintenance or the occasional cracked radiator hose or seal deterioration (at 10 years old, this is expected). In attempts to improve gas mileage, I added K&N air filter, open cat-back exhaust with 2" pipe, and performance spark plugs, boosting from Std 160 HP to about 180. The occasional tow of 750-1000 lbs. and the random off-road experiences make this a fun ride. It turns 180 on a dime, I've seen no other car make turns like this one. I've never managed to get the EPA fuel rating, and this, to be honest is the only problem I have, with 14/17 mpg city/hwy.

Common yet reliable
By Lukas on 01/16/06 12:42 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

My first truck. Big, bulky, gas consuming auto yet I can finally fit all along with my family. Mechanically sound and solid, I love the 5-speed manual transmission with hydraulic clutch - no problems there, good pick up yet sluggish if you do not know how to handle it. Clean and powerful engine. Explorer is extremely popular truck around and I was afraid Ford builds quantity and not quality - I guess I was wrong, absolutely no mechanical problems. The gas prices are the main concern as this truck likes to consume. I get better mileage with manual transmission but fill up costs me a bundle

A Better Explorer
By Jim Myers on 12/30/05 18:48 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

After owning 4 Explorers over the years and living with their poor cornering, I was amazed at driving an All-Wheel-Drive version. No more slowing down in a turn 'cause you felt the "it's gonna tip over!" feeling. What a difference! It felt, and still does, like a big sports car. Very safe and secure feeling. Very well built. My ONLY complaint is the fuel economy! Typically 12-14mpg and 11 if all city. I don't lead foot (remember the Shell Answer Man commercials?). I'll never sell this one as in its extended life it will carry big things till the wheels fall off. I still love it.

good deal
By mary cabral on 12/28/05 21:34 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had this car for nine years. Has had very very few repairs on it. I did replace the battery three times and I replaced the tires once. It has 28,000 miles and still looks pretty new and the motor is in excellent condition. I drive this car on long trips and it has never stopped on me for any reason. I did treat it well, with oil changes every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I strongly recommend it. I had ever had a Ford before because I like foreign cars but this Explorer proved me wrong!

I truly plan to keep my Explorer
By jltacy on 10/28/05 23:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I plan to keep my Explorer until the most expensive thing that can go wrong, goes wrong. I have only had 1 small part replaced since I bought it in 2002. I cannot imagine driving a car again. I am spoiled. It has over 110,000 miles on it and I have had no major repairs, only wear and tear items. Yes it gets 15 - 16 miles per gallon, but when you are not making payments that quite a savings.