1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
explorer review
By dan` on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

at 100K miles, needed some work, otherwise, not major work required except problem with paint during first 6 mmonths, but ford tool care of it n o problems

Saved my moms life
By MBailey on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought used in 2001, Rides, and handles great, could be beter on gas, but hey what can you expect out of an SUV. A week ago was totaled due to an almost fatal accident. The Explorer is actually my moms... she was on her way to work when a Dodge Dakota cliped her on her passenger side, the Explorer immediately turned sideways, and flipped 4-5 times on a paved road. My mom had on her seat belt (Thank God) and had minor injurys considering the servierness of the accident everyone talks about how well the truck held up, although she will never buy an exlorer again the frame, and the safety design saved her life. Thanks Ford!!!!!

Great vechile
By JB_ok on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Very reliable, currently has 82000 miles. Only problem is blend door had to be replaced at 70K.

Ford Explorer 96
By Larry Scott on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Car has been flawless. No problems at all. One of the best cars I have ever owned mechanically.

Total Lemon
By Scott Follenius on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car with 58,000 miles. In 10 months I put 9,000 miles on it, a nd had many problems. Have had several small things such as Cruise Control buttons on steering wheel melting, interior handle breaking. Transmission had to be rebuilt twice! $1800 Differential Gears had to be replaced at $800. This car has been in the shop for about a month of the 10 months I have owned it.

A shell of a car
By Found on road dead on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My husband and I were very impressed with the look of the explorer and felt that we could'nt go wrong with the best selling suv at that time. Well, we purchased a used vehicle by two years and found problems eight months later steming from the transmission being rebuilt and finally replaced to the gage lights coming on while driving (that includes the airbag and the check engine lights). NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!

My Explorer
By wild on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I purchased my explorer used several years back. It seemed to be in good condition. I only had it for a couple of months when I had to replace the head gaskets and timing chain gasket. Awhile later the another sensor went bad. Now I have a whirling noise coming from the front driver side at lower speeds. My mechanic can not find the problem. Overall I really like the truck. It's fun to drive and hany when hauling kids and stuff. Gas milage even with the six is poor.

1996 Ford Explorer XLT V-8
By s.kaldes on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

my boss got this vehicle with 12000 miles on it. i got to use it occasionally so when he decided to sellit i bought it with 65000 miles on it.I love the performance and torque this 5.0 litre has.Exterior still looks new.Gray leather still looks great.Only complaints are electrical, replacing hi brake light, fog lights, dash lite and steering wheel lite.

an ok suv
By kevin5150 on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This vehicle workred pretty well overall for me. My biggest complaint was with the handling. It just never felt very solid. I had the 4.0 V6 with a 5 speed manual worked ok but down on low end power (needed lower gearing). only major thing that went wrong was that the clutch master cylinder went out but that was after 90,000+ miles. All other repairs were just standard maintainance. overall not too bad.