Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Can't complain one bit
By roller_k

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 96 in 98 with 14000 miles on it. 12 years and 160,000 miles later and it never had a breakdown. The transmission never gave me problems. Only problem after many years was the link to the auto transmission and the back door lock had problems that I never took it in for. I did most of the scheduled maintenance myself and I'm no real mechanic. Great vehicle from Ford.

Sure footed ride
By Anonymous

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

92,000 miles on 5.0 L and it still looks and runs almost like new. Terrible gas mileage(16)and some engine noise. I've pulled a 16 ft box trailer all over, it has plenty of power and suspension, just doesn't have the long wheel base for stability.Love the short turning radius, tight suspension, and awd traction. No significant repairs other than the heater controls are shot, can't turn it off - damper? On the second set of brake pads and have just recently started noticing rotor warp on original set. Still uses zero oil between changes. On the second set of tires. Original muffler and suspension!! No rust. This vehicle has been babied, but it is still runs and looks great at 14.

Favorite Features

Steering and turning circle, pulling power. Nice seats and sound. No alignment issues to ruin the tires. True keyless entry with key pad.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. Extended rear view mirrors for trailer. Less engine whine. Lessen the weight. Auto on lights should be on every vehicle. Ford touts safety, but fails to implement this vital low cost feature. Better a few dollars to avoid a crash than armoring up to surviving one. 4 whl traction control

1996 2 dr 4x4 explorer sport
By steve

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 200,100 miles on my SUV. I purchased my 1996 with 108,000 miles for $3200.00. I have put 92,000 miles on it. I have had to replace upper ball joints, tires and routine oil changes, battery, alternator. Other than that I got more than my money's worth still running strong. I purchased 70,000 tires thinking they would outlive the truck. Now I need new tires.

Favorite Features

little rust issues. little maintanance

Very Dependable SUV
By Starsky64

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my Explorer XLT used 7 years ago with 69k miles. It now has over 125k miles and still going strong. Very comfortable interior with durable cloth seats. I have never had any major maintenance issues with this truck. The only items that needed replacement were the two front upper control arm/ball joint assemblies. The body is still relatively rust-free considering it is now 14 years old. Very well made vehicle.

Favorite Features

6-disc CD player built in center console.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage from 4.0L V6.

Great SUV
By Michael J

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Explorer XLT with 59k miles on it and 3 years old. It is now 14 years old with 280k miles on it. The only major repair I have had was replacing the AC 2 years ago. I think it was about 1000 to replace it. I am searching for something else now because I am worried it might be on its last leg. Who knows, it may last another 100k miles Definitely recommend an Explorer!