1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L V8
By HeZ777 on 03/05/10 17:42 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I've owned this car since October 1997, buying it with about 11,000 miles. It now has over 203,000 miles and still running strong. The 302 V8 is a strong and efficient runner, with a strong and durable transmission. Pre-Ethanol highway economy 22 MPG. Post-Ethanol highway economy 18 MPG. Very practical car, tows 5500 lb loads with ease, plenty of ramp torque, and horsepower to run up hills with ease. Recurring issues: this car eats up upper/lower ball joints, water pumps, radiators. Subwoofer not a standard size. On the plus side: 190,000 miles on a fuel pump, 170,000 miles on the air conditioning system. Engine, tranny, fuel system, computer top notch reliable on this car.

"til the wheels fall off"
By MacDaddy on 12/18/09 21:41 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new. XLT w/Leather, moonroof, JBL, etc. Routine maint w/oil changes every 3.5K mi. V-8 is powerful enough, but times have changed. Still can drive 100 MPH all day & stays cool. New CD changer. Wore out armrest & had it re-covered, then the coolant leaked out the very same day, but temp gauge never went up. Suspension is a little rocky when empty.Cost to repair etc., is about the present wholesale value (174K mi), so put in a crate motor for $5K rather than buy a new SUV. Beats a car payment. Sunroof rattle on bumpy roads that I fix with matchbook. Great stereo & acoustics, comfy (I'm 6'5"), AC blows ice cubes,tows 2 jetskis so effortlessly, you barely notice them. Keepin' it!

Great daily driver...
By 6spdGTO on 08/23/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Explorer for a year and a half now, with no major problems. I bought it to take my GTO off the road. It needed some work at the time of purchase: Front wheel bearings, a starter, thermostat, IAC motor, brakes and BF Goodrich All- Terrain tires. Recently, the transmission began acting up, but it is most likely an issue with a shift solenoid and separator plate gasket which is common in these models. Should be an easy fix. Due to it's short wheelbase, it also offroads great and is fun to drive in the snow or snotty mud. Over all, a great truck. After I drive the wheels off of this one, I will certainly buy another.

Going the distance with it
By Dweeze on 08/21/09 14:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this SUV new, out of necessity, in 2005 when my 1987 Bronco II died on the highway Xmas night with 140K miles. Nearly 14 years and 164K miles later, I have never once regretted that decision. The original engine is still as powerful and the original transmission is still as smooth as the day I drove it off the lot. It is showing signs of age, however, as some of the interior hardware is beginning to fail and the rust is creeping up underneath the rocker panels. Despite the extremely tempting offer to ditch this SUV in the "cash for clunkers" program, I am sticking with my Explorer until the bitter end. The scrap metal heap would not be a fitting end for such a reliable vehicle.

Never let me down
By Ted Sz on 05/12/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Explorer XLT 4WD new 13 years ago. I've maintained it myself for 151,000 miles. I've changed the AT fluid and filter every 30,000 miles and have had no transmission issues. It does chatter when dropping out of OD, but only when another transmission fluid change is due. I've always used Mobil One ATF. I recently did a lot of work on it because, although it's worth less than $2K on the books, it runs like new. I replaced the upper and lower ball joints last fall. I also found an A/C leak and fixed it myself. My brother the HVAC pro pressure tested, evacuated and charged it. Blows ice cold again! Heater blend door is a common failure, $9 part and about eight hours labor!

TANK
By red on 05/11/09 06:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

This is my first American vehicle and will NOT be my last (Ford). This thing is a WORK HORSE. I pull a 3500lb trailer every weekend and it has done this for the last 3 1/2 years. Very reliable. I have 130k on it and look forward to 75k more

They don't build 'em like this anymore..
By NMR on 04/14/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV with 150,000 miles. I now have almost 180,000. The only 'major' repair I have had is with the transmission...a solenoid that cost $200. Other than that, I have experienced only typical maintenance issues: exhaust, brakes/rotors, O2 sensor, plugs/wires...which most can be done by the average DIYer. To the poster with 240k+ miles: if you have that MANY miles on a (American) suv and you aren't happy, then you will never be happy with any vehicle. I have been looking to buy a new vehicle for the past year and based upon reviews, I will be sure to keep this one as a backup. I cannot say much bad about this SUV...IMO the Explorer is an A+ concept that ended when Ford redesigned.

1996 Ford explorer 4DR XLT
By Anthony Arpino on 09/22/08 06:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

At present 145000 miles. Replaced lower ball joints 2X under warranty. Replaced with the ball joints that can be lubricated. Gas mileage has improved since increasing tire preasure to 32 to 35 lbs. (18 to 23 miles per gal highway). I wish it was better. Also use a good fuel injector cleaner every 3000 miles. I have serviced the transmission every 12 to 15000 miles & so far no problems. I find it a comfortable & fun vechile to drive. Excellent handling in snow. One other problem was the thermostate. I had to replace it 4 times. If yours needs to be replaced ask for a heavy duty one that is made in the USA. The automatic choke in the winter kills your gas mileage, since it is temperature sensative

If I could change one thing
By Frankm on 09/13/08 17:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We have a 2WD XLT with the 5.0 engine and it has been great vehicle with no serious issues. My only gripe is that there is no camber adjustment for the front end alignment and it eats front tires something awful.

Awesome - except for the transmission
By Exploder on 07/13/08 10:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We have 240,000 miles so far and the only complaint is the transmission. It cost $1800 to rebuild and it appears to be a common problem on 1995 - 2001 Explorers with over 100k miles. If you're looking at a used Explorer with 100k+ miles, pay attention to the transmission! Other than that we love this truck. It is great in snow, very comfortable, and extremely reliable (except when transmission left my wife stranded). Even with 240k miles I would not hesitate to drive it on a cross country trip. The fuel economy is around 14/18, which is about average for this type of vehicle. The vinyl on the center console cover will crack too. I have never seen one that wasn't cracked.