1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Very Pleased
By rcopeland on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

Great value for the money. Got 105,000 on original tires. Get 21-22 MPG

I dig my Explorer
By Enreek on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned 3 Explorers and I would buy another one with a second thought. It is a good reliable vehicle that I can feel comfortable in. I dig it, man.

1996 Ford Explorer XLT V-8
By s.kaldes on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

my boss got this vehicle with 12000 miles on it. i got to use it occasionally so when he decided to sellit i bought it with 65000 miles on it.I love the performance and torque this 5.0 litre has.Exterior still looks new.Gray leather still looks great.Only complaints are electrical, replacing hi brake light, fog lights, dash lite and steering wheel lite.

Don't buy Fords!
By Tiffany on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

You don't wanna know. Any repairs are very expensive.

Will buy another - in a Few years.
By Matt F on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 1996. I was initially skeptical about buying a Ford after having owned Acura's and VW's and reading reviews on line. You have to treat these reviews the same way you would a movie critic panning your favorite movie. Almost 6 years later and close to 80,000 miles, I still enjoy this SUV. Besides the routine oil changes, brake replacement and Firestone tire changes, I had to replace the thermostat. $100.00 repair. While under warranty, the 02 sensor was replaced. That's it. The leather interior has held up well, even with two golden retrievers riding in the back. The V6 and transmission have performed well in the hilly San Francisco terrain.

an ok suv
By kevin5150 on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This vehicle workred pretty well overall for me. My biggest complaint was with the handling. It just never felt very solid. I had the 4.0 V6 with a 5 speed manual worked ok but down on low end power (needed lower gearing). only major thing that went wrong was that the clutch master cylinder went out but that was after 90,000+ miles. All other repairs were just standard maintainance. overall not too bad.

Outstanding
By oxbow on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

My 1996 Explorer has 118,000 miles on it and all I ever did to it was oil changes,shocks and brakes nothing else and it is still going strong.There is one thing I don't like is the rack and pinion steering it is to quick, I'll take gear box steering any day.Overall a great truck.

Disappointed
By Pete B. on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

When Ford came out with the new (2nd. generation) 1996 Explorer I thought it was the sweetest looking truck out there. In 2000 I came across the same truck in the Eddie Bauer trim which made it even sweeter. To my disappointment for the past year and a half even with the extended warranty I have done nothing but dump more money into this truck than I've ever had in any other vehicles I've owned. In addition to the reliability issues I've had with this truck is the lack of and no support I got from the area Ford Dealerships. Even with items they should've repaired at inceptions they did there best to ignore me.

96 Explorer V8 AWD
By Matt Ross on 03/10/02 19:01 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

The 96 Explorer has been an excellent vehicle. Besides a few maintenance issues which were covered under the extended warranty which I highly recommend purchasing, the vehicle has been excellent for me and my family. It is extremely flexible to your needs and is a great vehicle.