Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

'96 XLT
By Renae

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoyed my Explorer. It corners well, is well balanced, therefore travels in snow & on ice REAL WELL. Mine has a tow package and overdrive feature. I have towed 4000# a few times, pulls comfortably on the level, slow on inclines but what else do you expect with a 4.0 litre engine?

Favorite Features

Power bucket seats! These are the MOST comfortable I have had in any vehicle I've driven. Cruise is on the right lever (real convenient)

Unparalleled reliability
By molllibbburg

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Traded SUV with in-laws in 7/03, so I know the history. After 130,000 miles, it just had its first repair (excluding maintenance) - a water pump. V8 runs great and starts every time. Drove from Miami to Chicago in July and then to S. Carolina in December. Would buy another (with V8 only). Mileage is acceptable and some interior components are cheap and deteriorate from sun rays.

Favorite Features

Power and height.

Suggested Improvements

Paint is oxidized, faded and beginning to peel. Some plastic components have melted from sun.

Great Car
By Trifecta Show

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the explorer. Only bad thing is the terrible as mileage(mine is a 5 liter V8 and I get about 13 miles/gallon on average. Oherwise great car.

Favorite Features

6 disc cd changer, sun roof, infla seats

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!!

love my explorer
By hunypooh777

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i got it with 96,000 on it and it looked and drove like new. now has 108,000 have only changed o2 sensor, oil and trans fluid. oh yea the front end squeaked like crazy when i got it and the dealer replaced front shocks and grease fittings. havent had any real problems...has been pretty reliable. was comfy when we went from nj to fl and back.

Favorite Features

love the control track 4x4...great on ice and snow. the rear heat/air is great for kids. lots of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

well my hubbys f-150 rides a whole lot smoother. could use better gas mileage.

best auto that i ever owned
By cousin vinny

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

this was my first 4x4.the ride in rough terrain was a pleasure to experience.the controls are well layed out and easy to use..it rides like a truck,cause it is a truck.i owned this vehicle for 7 years and it never failed when the weather was bad..best truck for the money

Favorite Features

i would have to say ,some of my favorite feature would be the side steps for getting in and out of the vehicle.the moonroof was a must have option.4x4 on the fly without getting out of the vehicle was also nice