Used 1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Looking for #6
By Gimme the V-8

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This is the fifth Explorer we have owned, and we're looking for #6. I have NEVER been stranded by an Explorer. Our '96 with V8 AWD is a true workhorse. Handles snow, hills and rough roads like a champ. Still had my 95 EB V-6 when we bought this one. No comparison between powertrains. We both have V-8 AWD now, and will always buy them. 96 XLT now has 118k miles and never needed a major repair. Built Ford tough!

V-8 AWD is worth the price of admission! Leather, power seats, CD and sunroof give real luxury feel. Always been a pleasure to drive.

Only complaints are that heater controls malfunctioned and front pass. pwr. seat only travels part of track. Minor stuff.

'96 XLT
By Renae

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoyed my Explorer. It corners well, is well balanced, therefore travels in snow & on ice REAL WELL. Mine has a tow package and overdrive feature. I have towed 4000# a few times, pulls comfortably on the level, slow on inclines but what else do you expect with a 4.0 litre engine?

Power bucket seats! These are the MOST comfortable I have had in any vehicle I've driven. Cruise is on the right lever (real convenient)

Unparalleled reliability
By molllibbburg

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Traded SUV with in-laws in 7/03, so I know the history. After 130,000 miles, it just had its first repair (excluding maintenance) - a water pump. V8 runs great and starts every time. Drove from Miami to Chicago in July and then to S. Carolina in December. Would buy another (with V8 only). Mileage is acceptable and some interior components are cheap and deteriorate from sun rays.

Power and height.

Paint is oxidized, faded and beginning to peel. Some plastic components have melted from sun.

Great Car
By Trifecta Show

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love the explorer. Only bad thing is the terrible as mileage(mine is a 5 liter V8 and I get about 13 miles/gallon on average. Oherwise great car.

6 disc cd changer, sun roof, infla seats

GAS MILEAGE!!!!!!!

love my explorer
By hunypooh777

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i got it with 96,000 on it and it looked and drove like new. now has 108,000 have only changed o2 sensor, oil and trans fluid. oh yea the front end squeaked like crazy when i got it and the dealer replaced front shocks and grease fittings. havent had any real problems...has been pretty reliable. was comfy when we went from nj to fl and back.

love the control track 4x4...great on ice and snow. the rear heat/air is great for kids. lots of cargo room.

well my hubbys f-150 rides a whole lot smoother. could use better gas mileage.

• SUV