1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Brake light
By Aesops on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Rear collision avoidance light is WELDED to the hatch. To replace costs over $400; sorry engineering. Also, seat belt for rear pax isuncomfortable and constantely locks up.

Total Lemon
By Scott Follenius on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this car with 58,000 miles. In 10 months I put 9,000 miles on it, a nd had many problems. Have had several small things such as Cruise Control buttons on steering wheel melting, interior handle breaking. Transmission had to be rebuilt twice! $1800 Differential Gears had to be replaced at $800. This car has been in the shop for about a month of the 10 months I have owned it.

After looking around -- keeping the car
By NJ1 on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I know that this car gest slammed, but after a few initial glitches (former owner cracked the head) the car has been surprisingly nice. I have put on 60K miles and have had only minor issues. Good solid well built vehicle.

A shell of a car
By Found on road dead on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

My husband and I were very impressed with the look of the explorer and felt that we could'nt go wrong with the best selling suv at that time. Well, we purchased a used vehicle by two years and found problems eight months later steming from the transmission being rebuilt and finally replaced to the gage lights coming on while driving (that includes the airbag and the check engine lights). NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!

Won't buy a Ford again
By cl on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Other than the repairs and recalls on my truck since I bought it new, it was quite fun. But I won't buy a Ford again.

Great CAR
By Laurie on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Its a nice comfortable car, that also insures a great deal of safety.

Very reliable & comfortable 4X4
By jia1 on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first American car, it is supurisingly reliable, exceeded my expectations. During three years of ownership, I had only two repairs, Heater control valve and idle air control valve went bad, both were easy fixes. The rest of running cost were just gas, maintenance and insurance. I am very happy with it will continue to buy American.

1996 Explorer A Solid SUV
By lgcook on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

The ride is a little stiff, gas milage not all that good, but this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned in my 58 years of vehicle ownership. We have had one recall but other then that we have only had the Explorer in for regular scheduled service, spark plugs, wires, hoses, belt, and fluids. 135K miles and the front end is starting to squeek but I would not be afraid to take it to Alaska tomorrow.

My Explorer
By wild on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I purchased my explorer used several years back. It seemed to be in good condition. I only had it for a couple of months when I had to replace the head gaskets and timing chain gasket. Awhile later the another sensor went bad. Now I have a whirling noise coming from the front driver side at lower speeds. My mechanic can not find the problem. Overall I really like the truck. It's fun to drive and hany when hauling kids and stuff. Gas milage even with the six is poor.

Ford Explorer
By jpjljr77 on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Overall the vechile has been great.