Used 1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

it sucks
By me2999999999

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

run away from this vehicle

Favorite Features

sometimes it runs

Suggested Improvements

reliable, or buy a gmc

Reliable and powerful
By cssharkey

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this '96 Explorer used in '98. Only problem with it was a sticky gas pedal ($80 fix) and "Check Engine" light refused to go off until fixed by dealer. Other than that, for the past six years it's been just regular maintenance. My V8's got plenty of power - but not having 4x4 has hurt me a few times. It's a bit too light in the back in the snow/ice. But for decent conditions, this cars done been what's been asked of it.

Favorite Features

Powerful V8 No expensive breakdowns

Suggested Improvements

Gas pedal was sticky

SUV has lasted despite recalls
By C. Bright

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

My '96 Explorer still looks good & drives well. It hasn't been driven hard - it's spent more days at the airport than off-roading. I get an oil change every 5,000 miles or so and I haven't spent much time at all at the repair shop (new brake pads and a new thermostat). It's been recalled twice: once because of the infamous Firestone tires, and once for for something having to do a weak front stabilzer bar link (granted, both pretty serious). I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the way it drove until after I replaced the Firestone tires with 4 brand new Michelins. They made a huge difference in stability and handling.

Favorite Features

By far my favorite features are the 6- CD changer and the power moonroof. I also have found the extra cargo space pretty useful over the years.

Suggested Improvements

The manufacturer should have delivered better tires from the start. Less of a truck suspension and more of a luxury car suspension would be nice.

I will buy another one in few years
By nickzmm

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought vehicle with 23k miles, now has 143k. Other than front hub failure at 64k ($400) and premature front brake/rotor wear out (my fault for not taking to Ford dealer)($700 total) car has been very reliable. Changed fluids, etc. at recommended intervals at Jiffy Lube. Has not used a drop of oil. Tuned up at 80k. Runs great and expect to keep for another couple of years. V6 engine has enough power for my use and not too bad on milage (15.92 m/g over the last 1100 miles).

Favorite Features

Cargo space, cruise control, reliablity, and excellent tire wear on 16 tires. Four wheel drive in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Despite excellent seats, the ride quality is rough at slow speeds on potholed streets. Grill is ugly.

Looking for #6
By Gimme the V-8

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This is the fifth Explorer we have owned, and we're looking for #6. I have NEVER been stranded by an Explorer. Our '96 with V8 AWD is a true workhorse. Handles snow, hills and rough roads like a champ. Still had my 95 EB V-6 when we bought this one. No comparison between powertrains. We both have V-8 AWD now, and will always buy them. 96 XLT now has 118k miles and never needed a major repair. Built Ford tough!

Favorite Features

V-8 AWD is worth the price of admission! Leather, power seats, CD and sunroof give real luxury feel. Always been a pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Only complaints are that heater controls malfunctioned and front pass. pwr. seat only travels part of track. Minor stuff.