Used 1996 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

WOW
By allenone973

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I never in a million years thought i would be writing a glowing review of a Ford but here I am! My V8 currently has 189000 on the clock and it has been almost completely trouble free for over 60K miles. Regular tranny service and oil changes, upper and lower ball joints, an idler pulley, brake pads, one rotor, fuel pump (may not have even been bad) and a new set of Continental tires. I have read the 6cyl is crap but the V8 has a great engine/tranny setup. gas mileage is HORRIBLE, i average 14MPG. Avoid the 6, get the 8, you will pass everything but gas stations! Ride is good on smooth roads but if there are bumps in the road you will know it.

Killer V8 power, power leather seats are way too comfy, brakes stop it on a dime, handles great. Controls are easy to reach.

Better gas mileage, better bump and heave manners.

Love my Explorer
By GregTT

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Explorer new in late '95 and its been very reliable ever since. Just basic maintenance, brakes, tires. O2 sensor replaced a while back but that was pretty cheap. 86000 miles now and still going strong.

Styling still holds up, tough SUV, reliable

Might have bought the V8 if I did over, otherwise, no complaints.

'96 XLT V8 after 8 years & 120,000 miles
By Clockmaker

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

This has been an extremely reliable vehicle. It's never been out of service. Most miles are highway at or above speed limits, but quite a few are off-road in Colorado mountains. The ride is not very good on-highway and is jarring off-road. AWD is faultless. Overall MPG about 16-17, OK considering CO winter fuel. Interior and exterior design were state-of-the-art when bought,are still OK but dated.Interior still makes sense. I rate performance high because it has always done what I asked- towed trailers, off-roaded, passed in tight situations, stopped well in emergency situations. I still haven't added a quart of oil between changes. Result: my next SUV will be an Explorer.

When I bought, night-time illumination of EVERY control EVERWHERE was a revelation. Now, it's common. Next, AWD. I have never detected wheels slipping in any circumstance, and I've been in some extreme places and bad situations.

Ride quality (which I understand has been addressed by the 2002 re-design); more cargo space (also, I think addressed by the 2002 re-design).

124K...and still smiling...
By isabel

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Seven years ago, found my Eddie Bauer with 10K, loved the drive, the computer/systems check, the moonroof & cockpit style interior, Picked up the girls from practice and took it for a test drive. A thumbs up from the back seat - cushy leather, stereo controls, a/c vents, cup holders and plenty of cargo space for bags. Consumer Reports it a good rating, price was right...so we made the deal...seven years later I still smile everytime I get behind the wheel. It's been an extremely reliable and cost efficient vehicle and we still love it. Good design never goes out of style!

6 cyclinder = more mileage but plenty of power.

Increase MPG

Run Away Fast
By buy another car

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Nothing but problems.Oil leak under chain cover ($525) Transmission ($2500) Steering column broke ($310.00) + 2 recalls, & many little things. Disappointing vehicle. Never buy Ford again. Will buy Toyota to get a real car. Mechanic who fixed steering wheel said Ford told him that the Fords have alot of problems with this steering wheel problem. I went to turn off my car and my key just flipped around & then it would not turn off my accessories. It was not my starter it is Actuators and Assy Bracket. My suggestion is buy another car.There are many more out there that are better than the Ford Explorer and Ford all together. Gas mileage stinks to.

Room enough for camping equipment

Build a better car