1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
It's Been a Good Life........
By bim on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

thinking of trading it in just because i can get a good price.......but the car has been great....... it has done me well in good and bad weather....... i'm looking at another one if the price is right, otherwise i'm off to the chevy trailblazer or the gmc envoy.

1996 V8 Explorer
By Dtownfb on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

132k miles and 6.5 years later. Great vehicle for us. Very low maintenance. We had two recurring trouble areas, tires and fuel cutoff switch. Vehicle came with the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. OK tire at best. Fuel cutoff switch while nice to have inthe vehicle is not in a good spot (passenger wheel well) On three different occasions my long legged friends have accidently hit the switch and cut the fuel to the vehicle. The only negative about the vehicle is the fuel economy. But what do you expect from a V8 engine, two ton vehicle. At 132k miles, still going strong with very few signs of showing its age.

1996 V8 Explorer
By dtownfb on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Great Car
By towscorpio on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

No problems Great Car

Best Car EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Dickkyle on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

This car is such an outstanding car. It is more reliable than my wife.

Surprised
By BigEasy on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I purchased my XLT with 89000 miles and it drove like it was right out of the factory. Gas milage is horrific but in a SUV what can you ask for. I love the step up cruise control (dont have to hold the Coast or Accel button)and when I hit the gas I get what I ask for "POWER". Could use a better Stereo System and the tailgate needs a release switch in the cockpit (if its there I have no Idea where it is)

explorer review
By dan` on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

at 100K miles, needed some work, otherwise, not major work required except problem with paint during first 6 mmonths, but ford tool care of it n o problems

great ford
By mike c on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

I have 167,054 miles still get 21 mpg on the freeway with cruse on at 75. v8 super strong no oil leaks or burn. only thing that ever went out was rear axle seal Under warranty. and spark plug wires and fan clutch. I use it offroad all the time. love it .

great ford
By Mike C on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV AWD

Saved my moms life
By MBailey on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Bought used in 2001, Rides, and handles great, could be beter on gas, but hey what can you expect out of an SUV. A week ago was totaled due to an almost fatal accident. The Explorer is actually my moms... she was on her way to work when a Dodge Dakota cliped her on her passenger side, the Explorer immediately turned sideways, and flipped 4-5 times on a paved road. My mom had on her seat belt (Thank God) and had minor injurys considering the servierness of the accident everyone talks about how well the truck held up, although she will never buy an exlorer again the frame, and the safety design saved her life. Thanks Ford!!!!!