Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Will drive this one till it dies...
By LUVmySUV

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new in 1996. Fabulous vehicle all-around, no issues, never been in the shop for any mechanical reason. I especially love the tight turning radius. It will do a 360 on a dime. My only complaint is the poor 14/17 mpg. I've never seen the 18/21 it was rated by Ford.

Sounds so simple, but I have the center and upper console feature, and I use it all the time. Great for storage in general. I'm always digging in it. Again, can't say enough about it's handling, overall power, and tight turning radius. It's the best looking 2-door SUV on the road today!

Can be a little loud at highway speeds with road noise; Also, the hollow steel bumpers and step-bars are showing signs of rust from the inside-out due to living in the North's high salted roads during winter, making it difficult to rinse away salt. Ford could have gone solid and saved this eyesore.

A Pretty Good SUV
By Wildbill

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Explorer used. At first I had to replace the head gaskets due to oil and antifreeze leaks. That took about $1000 which really bumed me out on it. Since then it has been a good vehicle.

Look and driving feel.

More power from the V6.

PROBLEMS
By Cameron EX

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

What can go wrong on my Explorer has. I have had 3 transmissions. The inside is falling apart and the foil aluminum is coming off of my bumper and the thing is noisy.

The V6 is plenty for this size Suv. Six changer CD player (when it worked).

Burn it up and start over.

Love This Truck
By Gypsy

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I went from a little import sports car to what seemed a "big" vehicle. I came to love it like no other vehicle I have ever owned. On snow and ice it handles beautifully. For an SUV it gets great gas mileage. I personally don't like 4 door SUV's because they seem too long and ugly so the Sport model was right up my alley. It looks cool, rides great, and is just plain fun to drive.

I love the body style of the 96. It's curvy enough to not look boxy, yet not so curved as to seem shapeless. It really is a great looking SUV.

I do agree that the back seats are uncomfortable. The passenger seat legroom leaves something to be desired if you are tall.

Exploder.. I mean explorer
By Olivia Alyse

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

Personally, I don't care much for the car. I've spent nearly 2000$ in repairs for it! To begin with, I'm a very very cautious driver- I've never caused any wrecks, but I've been rear ended. And the car held up well in the collison- but a few times, when turning slowly even or taking a curve, the car nearly flips over and tilts. Other times, it stalls out and the car speedometer is wrong. When compared to other drivers going 40 the explorer seems slower. It also takes forever to accelerate. And it's a gas guzzler. It also has a very very very bumpy ride. I swear I could feel a pebble in grass! Not the best car in the world- especially for someone on a budget!

The 6 CD deck and padded bumper

Nothing- I could never drive an SUV again after driving this car.

• SUV