Used 1996 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

216,000 Work horse
By Karrie

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

We bought this 3 years ago with only 174,000 miles on her and now 216,000 miles and still runs great. Only put radiator, water pump, tires and oil changes might need a rack and pinion soon but runs strong. Going to try and keep her running for another 216,000 miles...

WHAT I EXPECT FROM AN EXPLORER
By Kevin B

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a lot of Ford Explorers over the years from a 76 Ford Explorer Truck to a Camper Special to even owning a 92 Ford Explorer SUV with all them having accept for the camper special having V6 or inline 6 cylinder engines, but my latest is the AWD V8 which is a work of art to me. This truck in dependable and reliable. Of course I know it is not used to go rock climbing and is for normal to mid off road use, unlike most try to think it should be. In my opinion this SUV is what it should do an average to above average SUV

Guess I Got One Of The Good Ones
By greenmamba

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Bought mine with 135K back in '01. It now has over 300K and has been the perfect vehicle. Still looks fantastic, interior has a small 1 1/2 inch tear on the driver seat's side. Has never left us walking. Same transmission, water pump, rear end. The only big things replaced are a/c and radiator. Both done by me and all maintenance also.

It's paid for. Center mounted info center. How easy it is to do most repairs and maintenance.

Ford has already done them.

Amazingly Tough!!!
By glenniz

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this 1996 XLT as a first car for my daughter to learn how to drive and then I was going to sell it. Well guess what....I'm going to do some maintenance on it and keep it for myself. The 5.0L motor is amazing and the transmission shifts like it was new (this vehicle has 185,000 miles on it). It still gets 18 mpg in the city and about 23 mpg on the Hwy. and has absolutely NO oil leaks!!! I'm Impressed!!!!!

Very good ride quality, excellent acceleration and seats five comfortably. For it's size, the gas mileage is pretty darned good!

Nothing Really!

Driving on SNOW STORMS
By udarab88

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

This is not a good SUV to drive on heavy snow
high ways. Specially 4x4. I spinned twice and hit on the edge of the highway safety guards. I was driving 30mph on a 70mph road. Please use 2 wheel drive on high ways when its really bad on roads.