1996 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Amazingly Tough!!!
By glenniz on 03/10/14 20:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this 1996 XLT as a first car for my daughter to learn how to drive and then I was going to sell it. Well guess what....I'm going to do some maintenance on it and keep it for myself. The 5.0L motor is amazing and the transmission shifts like it was new (this vehicle has 185,000 miles on it). It still gets 18 mpg in the city and about 23 mpg on the Hwy. and has absolutely NO oil leaks!!! I'm Impressed!!!!!

Driving on SNOW STORMS
By udarab88 on 12/13/12 15:54 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

This is not a good SUV to drive on heavy snow high ways. Specially 4x4. I spinned twice and hit on the edge of the highway safety guards. I was driving 30mph on a 70mph road. Please use 2 wheel drive on high ways when its really bad on roads.

Still Working
By slinsk on 11/09/12 12:15 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 4.0L, 4dr, 4wd, auto XLT as a new loss leader from the Sunday newspaper auto section in 1996 for $23k. Had to replace a blown head gasket twice. First time was my fault because thermostat was bad and temp gage wasn't working so engine overheated & blew the head gasket. 2nd time was just from age & I was able to save a few thousand by doing the labor myself (~$700 in parts & machine shop work on the valves/heads). Now has 157k on it. Transmission is starting to slip but I understand that's normal wear & tear with this many miles. Other than that, just had the usual, tires, alternator, brakes stuff. The truck has been a workhorse.

1996 1 owner Ford Explorer 4wd 4 dr
By drbobe on 11/20/11 14:58 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

When I purchased the 96 Explorer it was my 2nd one. I had a 91 2dr 4wd and sold it to my Dad. My 96 was fine till 55,000 miles when the odometer broke. It was already out of warranty and cost $1000 to fix due to it being one of a cluster . I had to repair the a/c twice costing $1000 each time. I replaced the radiator at $800. I've replaced the transfer case at $3500 and the Transmission at $2000. This vehicle is only used to go to and from work and school 5-10 miles away. Recently, my daughter was driving it on I-95 coing home from college and the engine failed costing me $400 to tow it home 71 miles. It appears it is only worth $2000 when running.

Can't complain one bit
By roller_k on 05/21/11 12:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 96 in 98 with 14000 miles on it. 12 years and 160,000 miles later and it never had a breakdown. The transmission never gave me problems. Only problem after many years was the link to the auto transmission and the back door lock had problems that I never took it in for. I did most of the scheduled maintenance myself and I'm no real mechanic. Great vehicle from Ford.

Sure footed ride
By Anonymous on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD

92,000 miles on 5.0 L and it still looks and runs almost like new. Terrible gas mileage(16)and some engine noise. I've pulled a 16 ft box trailer all over, it has plenty of power and suspension, just doesn't have the long wheel base for stability.Love the short turning radius, tight suspension, and awd traction. No significant repairs other than the heater controls are shot, can't turn it off - damper? On the second set of brake pads and have just recently started noticing rotor warp on original set. Still uses zero oil between changes. On the second set of tires. Original muffler and suspension!! No rust. This vehicle has been babied, but it is still runs and looks great at 14.

1996 2 dr 4x4 explorer sport
By steve on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 200,100 miles on my SUV. I purchased my 1996 with 108,000 miles for $3200.00. I have put 92,000 miles on it. I have had to replace upper ball joints, tires and routine oil changes, battery, alternator. Other than that I got more than my money's worth still running strong. I purchased 70,000 tires thinking they would outlive the truck. Now I need new tires.

Very Dependable SUV
By Starsky64 on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my Explorer XLT used 7 years ago with 69k miles. It now has over 125k miles and still going strong. Very comfortable interior with durable cloth seats. I have never had any major maintenance issues with this truck. The only items that needed replacement were the two front upper control arm/ball joint assemblies. The body is still relatively rust-free considering it is now 14 years old. Very well made vehicle.

Great SUV
By Michael J on 07/24/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Explorer XLT with 59k miles on it and 3 years old. It is now 14 years old with 280k miles on it. The only major repair I have had was replacing the AC 2 years ago. I think it was about 1000 to replace it. I am searching for something else now because I am worried it might be on its last leg. Who knows, it may last another 100k miles Definitely recommend an Explorer!

A disappointment
By EdC on 06/04/10 20:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

This SUV was the first vehicle I got to drive as soon as I received my license. Once I did receive it, I got to see all the problems that accompanied it. In 8 years, we had to replace the transmission 3 times. There was an incredible amount of body roll at speeds above 55 mph (that made it feel dangerous on the highway), and the suspension had a horrendous squeak whenever the wheels drove over anything. Gas mileage was terrible with the weak V6. However, regardless of all its faults, I got very close to this car and was sad to finally see it go when we discarded it through the Cash for Clunkers program.