Used 1996 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Amazingly Tough!!!
By glenniz

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this 1996 XLT as a first car for my daughter to learn how to drive and then I was going to sell it. Well guess what....I'm going to do some maintenance on it and keep it for myself. The 5.0L motor is amazing and the transmission shifts like it was new (this vehicle has 185,000 miles on it). It still gets 18 mpg in the city and about 23 mpg on the Hwy. and has absolutely NO oil leaks!!! I'm Impressed!!!!!

Favorite Features

Very good ride quality, excellent acceleration and seats five comfortably. For it's size, the gas mileage is pretty darned good!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing Really!

Can't complain one bit
By roller_k

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 96 in 98 with 14000 miles on it. 12 years and 160,000 miles later and it never had a breakdown. The transmission never gave me problems. Only problem after many years was the link to the auto transmission and the back door lock had problems that I never took it in for. I did most of the scheduled maintenance myself and I'm no real mechanic. Great vehicle from Ford.

Sure footed ride
By Anonymous

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

92,000 miles on 5.0 L and it still looks and runs almost like new. Terrible gas mileage(16)and some engine noise. I've pulled a 16 ft box trailer all over, it has plenty of power and suspension, just doesn't have the long wheel base for stability.Love the short turning radius, tight suspension, and awd traction. No significant repairs other than the heater controls are shot, can't turn it off - damper? On the second set of brake pads and have just recently started noticing rotor warp on original set. Still uses zero oil between changes. On the second set of tires. Original muffler and suspension!! No rust. This vehicle has been babied, but it is still runs and looks great at 14.

Favorite Features

Steering and turning circle, pulling power. Nice seats and sound. No alignment issues to ruin the tires. True keyless entry with key pad.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. Extended rear view mirrors for trailer. Less engine whine. Lessen the weight. Auto on lights should be on every vehicle. Ford touts safety, but fails to implement this vital low cost feature. Better a few dollars to avoid a crash than armoring up to surviving one. 4 whl traction control

Common yet reliable
By Lukas

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

My first truck. Big, bulky, gas consuming auto yet I can finally fit all along with my family. Mechanically sound and solid, I love the 5-speed manual transmission with hydraulic clutch - no problems there, good pick up yet sluggish if you do not know how to handle it. Clean and powerful engine. Explorer is extremely popular truck around and I was afraid Ford builds quantity and not quality - I guess I was wrong, absolutely no mechanical problems. The gas prices are the main concern as this truck likes to consume. I get better mileage with manual transmission but fill up costs me a bundle

Favorite Features

5-speed manual transmission, good solid truck.

Suggested Improvements

The switch between AWD to 2WD or 4WD, the switch itself reminds me of a wiper switch, should be more noticeable and more rustic.

A Better Explorer
By Jim Myers

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

After owning 4 Explorers over the years and living with their poor cornering, I was amazed at driving an All-Wheel-Drive version. No more slowing down in a turn 'cause you felt the "it's gonna tip over!" feeling. What a difference! It felt, and still does, like a big sports car. Very safe and secure feeling. Very well built. My ONLY complaint is the fuel economy! Typically 12-14mpg and 11 if all city. I don't lead foot (remember the Shell Answer Man commercials?). I'll never sell this one as in its extended life it will carry big things till the wheels fall off. I still love it.

Favorite Features

Its overall performance and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Make this a mid size SUV hybrid with 30mpg!