Used 1996 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

216,000 Work horse
By Karrie

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

We bought this 3 years ago with only 174,000 miles on her and now 216,000 miles and still runs great. Only put radiator, water pump, tires and oil changes might need a rack and pinion soon but runs strong. Going to try and keep her running for another 216,000 miles...

WHAT I EXPECT FROM AN EXPLORER
By Kevin B

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned a lot of Ford Explorers over the years from a 76 Ford Explorer Truck to a Camper Special to even owning a 92 Ford Explorer SUV with all them having accept for the camper special having V6 or inline 6 cylinder engines, but my latest is the AWD V8 which is a work of art to me. This truck in dependable and reliable. Of course I know it is not used to go rock climbing and is for normal to mid off road use, unlike most try to think it should be. In my opinion this SUV is what it should do an average to above average SUV

Amazingly Tough!!!
By glenniz

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this 1996 XLT as a first car for my daughter to learn how to drive and then I was going to sell it. Well guess what....I'm going to do some maintenance on it and keep it for myself. The 5.0L motor is amazing and the transmission shifts like it was new (this vehicle has 185,000 miles on it). It still gets 18 mpg in the city and about 23 mpg on the Hwy. and has absolutely NO oil leaks!!! I'm Impressed!!!!!

Very good ride quality, excellent acceleration and seats five comfortably. For it's size, the gas mileage is pretty darned good!

Nothing Really!

Can't complain one bit
By roller_k

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 96 in 98 with 14000 miles on it.
12 years and 160,000 miles later and
it never had a breakdown.
The transmission never gave me problems.
Only problem after many years was the link to the auto transmission and the back door lock had problems that I never took it in for.
I did most of the scheduled maintenance myself and I'm no real mechanic.
Great vehicle from Ford.

Sure footed ride
By Anonymous

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD

92,000 miles on 5.0 L and it still looks and runs almost like new. Terrible gas mileage(16)and some engine noise. I've pulled a 16 ft box trailer all over, it has plenty of power and suspension, just doesn't have the long wheel base for stability.Love the short turning radius, tight suspension, and awd traction. No significant repairs other than the heater controls are shot, can't turn it off - damper? On the second set of brake pads and have just recently started noticing rotor warp on original set. Still uses zero oil between changes. On the second set of tires. Original muffler and suspension!! No rust. This vehicle has been babied, but it is still runs and looks great at 14.

Steering and turning circle, pulling power. Nice seats and sound. No alignment issues to ruin the tires. True keyless entry with key pad.

Better MPG. Extended rear view mirrors for trailer. Less engine whine. Lessen the weight. Auto on lights should be on every vehicle. Ford touts safety, but fails to implement this vital low cost feature. Better a few dollars to avoid a crash than armoring up to surviving one. 4 whl traction control