1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great SUV
By Michael J on 07/24/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my Explorer XLT with 59k miles on it and 3 years old. It is now 14 years old with 280k miles on it. The only major repair I have had was replacing the AC 2 years ago. I think it was about 1000 to replace it. I am searching for something else now because I am worried it might be on its last leg. Who knows, it may last another 100k miles Definitely recommend an Explorer!

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L V8
By HeZ777 on 03/05/10 17:42 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I've owned this car since October 1997, buying it with about 11,000 miles. It now has over 203,000 miles and still running strong. The 302 V8 is a strong and efficient runner, with a strong and durable transmission. Pre-Ethanol highway economy 22 MPG. Post-Ethanol highway economy 18 MPG. Very practical car, tows 5500 lb loads with ease, plenty of ramp torque, and horsepower to run up hills with ease. Recurring issues: this car eats up upper/lower ball joints, water pumps, radiators. Subwoofer not a standard size. On the plus side: 190,000 miles on a fuel pump, 170,000 miles on the air conditioning system. Engine, tranny, fuel system, computer top notch reliable on this car.

"til the wheels fall off"
By MacDaddy on 12/18/09 21:41 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought new. XLT w/Leather, moonroof, JBL, etc. Routine maint w/oil changes every 3.5K mi. V-8 is powerful enough, but times have changed. Still can drive 100 MPH all day & stays cool. New CD changer. Wore out armrest & had it re-covered, then the coolant leaked out the very same day, but temp gauge never went up. Suspension is a little rocky when empty.Cost to repair etc., is about the present wholesale value (174K mi), so put in a crate motor for $5K rather than buy a new SUV. Beats a car payment. Sunroof rattle on bumpy roads that I fix with matchbook. Great stereo & acoustics, comfy (I'm 6'5"), AC blows ice cubes,tows 2 jetskis so effortlessly, you barely notice them. Keepin' it!

1996 Ford explorer 4DR XLT
By Anthony Arpino on 09/22/08 06:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

At present 145000 miles. Replaced lower ball joints 2X under warranty. Replaced with the ball joints that can be lubricated. Gas mileage has improved since increasing tire preasure to 32 to 35 lbs. (18 to 23 miles per gal highway). I wish it was better. Also use a good fuel injector cleaner every 3000 miles. I have serviced the transmission every 12 to 15000 miles & so far no problems. I find it a comfortable & fun vechile to drive. Excellent handling in snow. One other problem was the thermostate. I had to replace it 4 times. If yours needs to be replaced ask for a heavy duty one that is made in the USA. The automatic choke in the winter kills your gas mileage, since it is temperature sensative

If I could change one thing
By Frankm on 09/13/08 17:17 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We have a 2WD XLT with the 5.0 engine and it has been great vehicle with no serious issues. My only gripe is that there is no camber adjustment for the front end alignment and it eats front tires something awful.

Drives
By whoswho on 03/24/07 18:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I had this car for a little over a year. I had little to no complaints until recently. This car is great for day to day however it is dangerous in a accident. The narrow wheel base on this year is prone to rollover and leaves you with no options to really avoid an accident.

Love my Explorer
By hiyall on 03/05/07 15:38 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought my Explorer new and have loved it for almost 11 years. It has performed like a champ on LA roads and in mountain and snow conditions. Recently, had to have radiator replaced 3x. It seems the new replacement Ford radiators are no good. They have each still been under warranty but the last one was only one day from being out of warranty. Sadly, I now plan to replace my Explorer because I don't want to chance having to replace the radiator again on my dime. This truck has really hauled everything for me and rides especially well when the back is loaded. If you are thinking of a '96 Explorer I say go for it. Mine still performs well & looks great inside and out.

174 k and still like it
By WL on 04/19/05 04:02 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought it used for cheap off a Toyota dealership lot, with 100k already on it. Had to be talked into buying it by the salesman, and have never regretted it. Drove a 6 cylinder prior to the 8 cylinder. Grandma won't get on the freeway with the pathetically weak 6 cylinder. but the 8 cylinder hauls! Bad gas mileage, hard ride (as expected from an SUV?). Lots of features, the 3.73 rear-end (read:traction) even got me around on Texas "black ice" as good or better than the 4WD's were doing. Tows a 3500 pound boat ok too. Tranny rebuilt at 120k for $1600. Overall, could be a little more reliable I guess. Buy one cheap and replace the parts when they go bad. A good deal for the money. Haven't been stranded yet.

Not for little people
By pmm on 04/13/05 01:30 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought this car from my sister for my husband. He was happy driving to work and home. My primary vehicle blew a rod in the engine so I had to drive this car for six months while I saved for a new car. I drive a lot and I am only 5 ft. tall. This car has got to be the most uncomfortable vehicle made. It has been very reliable but I need to be put in traction now, plus the $75-85 weekly gas bill I could have just skipped the experience and paid a car note (minus chiropractor bills) instead.

Green Explorer That Wouldn't
By Blue from VB on 04/04/05 18:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

It is a roomy midsize SUV and the ride was car-like. It had a lot of nifty features as one would expect from a Ford that was not entry level, including a compass, temperature gauge, reclining front and rear seats, etc. The downside to it is when it goes it goes! In a twelve month period I spent almost $2,000 in maintenance ($900 for a heater core, $600 for a water pump 6 months later, then $500 for brakes and front tires). The vehicle left me stranded on two seperate occassions and I do my regularly scheduled maintenance on all of my vehicles. Ford's service was subpar and it was the last Ford that I will buy!