Used 1996 Ford Explorer Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Ok drive, but not reliable
By mattathayde

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Got this car from my sister in 05 for free, just paid to ship, ok not bad at all 900 bucks. Had to put 4- 500 bucks into it for repairs. A/C, alignment, brakes. Nothing huge. Now the Explorer has a little bump and dip if you turn it hard right because inside the front wheel well the cloth material that blocks a lot of dirt from getting up into the engine well is ripped and catches the wheel a little. Drive it for about a year, the coolant system started to leak, had to get that fixed, had to get an O2 sensor replaced. Some other repairs. Now we have about 3-5000 worth of repairs needed on it- electrical issues, ac is broken, driving lights go out some times. I didn't abuse it.

Favorite Features

Power, the engine is about the best/only good thing in it

Suggested Improvements

Back end a little to light, electrical system quality needs to be remotely good.

A Plum
By CarD

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This vehicle has never caused me the slightest heartache or problem. Beyond the expected ravages of time (hoses, slight rust, etc.) I have never had a mechanical or performance issue.

Favorite Features

Perfect vehicle size, not too large nor too small.

Suggested Improvements

A little more engine strength and heavier tail end.

Exploder.. I mean explorer
By Olivia Alyse

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Personally, I don't care much for the car. I've spent nearly 2000$ in repairs for it! To begin with, I'm a very very cautious driver- I've never caused any wrecks, but I've been rear ended. And the car held up well in the collison- but a few times, when turning slowly even or taking a curve, the car nearly flips over and tilts. Other times, it stalls out and the car speedometer is wrong. When compared to other drivers going 40 the explorer seems slower. It also takes forever to accelerate. And it's a gas guzzler. It also has a very very very bumpy ride. I swear I could feel a pebble in grass! Not the best car in the world- especially for someone on a budget!

Favorite Features

The 6 CD deck and padded bumper

Suggested Improvements

Nothing- I could never drive an SUV again after driving this car.

Run Away Fast
By buy another car

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Nothing but problems.Oil leak under chain cover ($525) Transmission ($2500) Steering column broke ($310.00) + 2 recalls, & many little things. Disappointing vehicle. Never buy Ford again. Will buy Toyota to get a real car. Mechanic who fixed steering wheel said Ford told him that the Fords have alot of problems with this steering wheel problem. I went to turn off my car and my key just flipped around & then it would not turn off my accessories. It was not my starter it is Actuators and Assy Bracket. My suggestion is buy another car.There are many more out there that are better than the Ford Explorer and Ford all together. Gas mileage stinks to.

Favorite Features

Room enough for camping equipment

Suggested Improvements

Build a better car

best auto that i ever owned
By cousin vinny

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

this was my first 4x4.the ride in rough terrain was a pleasure to experience.the controls are well layed out and easy to use..it rides like a truck,cause it is a truck.i owned this vehicle for 7 years and it never failed when the weather was bad..best truck for the money

Favorite Features

i would have to say ,some of my favorite feature would be the side steps for getting in and out of the vehicle.the moonroof was a must have option.4x4 on the fly without getting out of the vehicle was also nice