1996 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ok drive, but not reliable
By mattathayde on 06/04/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Got this car from my sister in 05 for free, just paid to ship, ok not bad at all 900 bucks. Had to put 4- 500 bucks into it for repairs. A/C, alignment, brakes. Nothing huge. Now the Explorer has a little bump and dip if you turn it hard right because inside the front wheel well the cloth material that blocks a lot of dirt from getting up into the engine well is ripped and catches the wheel a little. Drive it for about a year, the coolant system started to leak, had to get that fixed, had to get an O2 sensor replaced. Some other repairs. Now we have about 3-5000 worth of repairs needed on it- electrical issues, ac is broken, driving lights go out some times. I didn't abuse it.

A Plum
By CarD on 05/30/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This vehicle has never caused me the slightest heartache or problem. Beyond the expected ravages of time (hoses, slight rust, etc.) I have never had a mechanical or performance issue.

Exploder.. I mean explorer
By Olivia Alyse on 12/09/04 12:54 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Personally, I don't care much for the car. I've spent nearly 2000$ in repairs for it! To begin with, I'm a very very cautious driver- I've never caused any wrecks, but I've been rear ended. And the car held up well in the collison- but a few times, when turning slowly even or taking a curve, the car nearly flips over and tilts. Other times, it stalls out and the car speedometer is wrong. When compared to other drivers going 40 the explorer seems slower. It also takes forever to accelerate. And it's a gas guzzler. It also has a very very very bumpy ride. I swear I could feel a pebble in grass! Not the best car in the world- especially for someone on a budget!

Run Away Fast
By buy another car on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Nothing but problems.Oil leak under chain cover ($525) Transmission ($2500) Steering column broke ($310.00) + 2 recalls, & many little things. Disappointing vehicle. Never buy Ford again. Will buy Toyota to get a real car. Mechanic who fixed steering wheel said Ford told him that the Fords have alot of problems with this steering wheel problem. I went to turn off my car and my key just flipped around & then it would not turn off my accessories. It was not my starter it is Actuators and Assy Bracket. My suggestion is buy another car.There are many more out there that are better than the Ford Explorer and Ford all together. Gas mileage stinks to.

best auto that i ever owned
By cousin vinny on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

this was my first 4x4.the ride in rough terrain was a pleasure to experience.the controls are well layed out and easy to use..it rides like a truck,cause it is a truck.i owned this vehicle for 7 years and it never failed when the weather was bad..best truck for the money

Clutch Unbelievably Bad
By bhburton on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Stiff clutch must be pushed all the way to the floor, still doesn't quite disengage. Miserable to shift from neutral to 1st at stoplight. Won't enter 1st without great effort. But it's my first SUV and I love sitting higher where I can see the traffic!

A Good Sport
By TIMDOGG on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. Bought in 3/99 with about 20000 miles now has 84000 and haven't had any major problems.

Reliable and lots of space with 2 door
By BARCA99 on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I own it for more than a year. All I had to do was change the oil. When I bought it had close to 100k miles and I have put another 20k and runs great. In the freeway I get 21 miles per gallon and in the city around 14. I recommended this car to students and professionals who need to carry tools.

Worst Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Fed Up With Ford on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

If anyone is looking for a pre-owned SUV, avoid this one at all costs. With 73,000 miles, I've had axle and steering problems, replaced the water pump, thermostat, ball joints and now need a head gasket. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things. The transmission fluid is burnt and probably close to going. Time to dump this one and go foreign.

Outstanding
By oxbow on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

My 1996 Explorer has 118,000 miles on it and all I ever did to it was oil changes,shocks and brakes nothing else and it is still going strong.There is one thing I don't like is the rack and pinion steering it is to quick, I'll take gear box steering any day.Overall a great truck.