1995 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Trusty Steed

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

XL 2dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

Trusty Steed
By goodguy on

1995 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV

I bought this truck new and have never owned a more useful or reliable vehicle (22+ cars/trucks over the years). With over 146K miles it continues to look & perform very good, and still has no squeaks or rattles. The only mechanical failures I've had were the front sway bar links (recall item) and an idler pulley at 105K. Over the past few thousand miles I've noticed a very slight delay in the transmission engaging when I shift from park to reverse and occasionally hear a soft "thunking" coming from the front transfer case, but can't find anything else to complain about. I love this truck! I'd highly recommend these older series of Explorers (95-00).

Favorite Features

Reliability, fit and finish, car-like comfort with truck-like utility. Good handling and turn radius. The front seats are very comfortable (I've never ridden in the back). Nice JBL sound system/CD changer. Very ergonomic layout for the driver.

Suggested Improvements

It'd be nice if the rear seats folded flatter to create a more level cargo bed. Also could use about a half inch more interior width to make loading 4x8 material a little easier. Wider cup holders were added in later years, but they're a minor issue with the 95.