Little Annoyances, But a Good SUV
By powderboy on
1995 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV
I have 83,000 miles on my '95 XLT, and for the most part I am pleased. The engine/transmission appear to be solid and it runs like a charm. But there have been many little things that have cropped up every year, many of them not so little in terms of cost. With every 'dealer recommended' radiator flush, they also happen to recommend that I REPLACE the thermostat as it tends to break during this service. And this is MY problem? Also, I have had numerous electrical problems resulting in repairs and silly bugs that won't go away. This is also true with the cooling system. I am beginning to look for a new SUV with a little more room, but overall I have been happy with this one.
Favorite Features
Rear lift hatch, temperature/direction console, rear air, tight turning radius and decent performance for a V6.
Suggested Improvements
Beef up the brakes, as they tend to be underpowered - I think they were designed for the Ranger but have to carry the extra weight of the Explorer. Increase ground clearance, improve the suspension. It's a bumpy ride at times even on city street.