1995 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Buy if you're a mechanic

1995 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Review

Buy if you're a mechanic
By JWyatt on

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Big, roomy inside, comfortable vehicle. Good stock stereo and fine build quality. Good paint. Now the negative. I hope Ford changes those automatic trannys. I maintained mine but still went out at 130K miles. Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler, Isuzu Trooper and Toyota use the same AT which is much more reliable. Explorer has poorly designed brakes and rotors. It's also too heavy which causes tires to wear out to fast. The alignment seemed to go out often. Until Ford makes some changes, I expect to stick to Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler. It's ashame because I used to be into Fords.

Favorite Features

Good size in and out. Great on road trips becuase it has a good ride. Quite on the inside. Cheap parts and not expensive vehicle to buy.

Suggested Improvements

Change the tranny! Change the brakes and rotors. The engine is very hard to work on in comparison to Toyotas and Jeeps. Front lights turn grey after they get scratched up and are too expensive to replace as a unit.