Used 1995 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Maybe we just didn't get lucky
By Sean Pitt

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I like the car as far as the interior goes, but we have had many mechanical problems. The main thing we replaced was the transmission. Even now, there is a delay when we change gears from park and nearly every time the car shifts, a thud comes from underneath the car. There is short in the switch for washer fluid. The automatic A/C doesn't work very well (your either cold or warm, not much of a middle). When idiling, the car will sometimes shake and shut off. Lots of squeaks and rattles. The ride is also very bumpy. Carfax says there is nothing fishy with its history, and we had it checked by a Ford dealership mechanic before we bought it. What happened?

I like the auto-dimming rear view mirror and the power mirrors, windows, and seats. Enough cargo room as well, especially since the back seats fold down. The controls for everything are fairly well placed.

The A/C does not work very well for an in between temp, great for cold and warm, but not really cool. Build quality does not seem to be fantastic. The radio and some other displays have burnt out. Bumpy ride.

95 explorer
By n3oty

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Lots of fit and trim problems at the beginning but fixed under warrantee. Haven't done much in the last 50k miles except change the oil.

Good mileage for the type of vehicle.

Eddie Bauer
By Howard

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent automobile. Have only had to perform routine maintaince to keep it going strong. I purchased in 1997 with 43000 miles on it. I would like a new pick-up truck but can't bring myself to sell my Explorer. It's just been far to reliable a vehicle over the years.

Awesome stero system, automatic lights and mirror, computer, sun roof, quality of leather seats. Quality really was job one in 1995!

Rear seats to fold completely flat, more torque.

about to buy another one
By explo420

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1995 XLT V6 4x4 and have pushed it to its limits only to have it ask for more. I bought it with 78k miles on it and I'm about to sell it with 111k on it. My new car is a 2001 Limited Edition, because I enjoyed my '95 so much. Its comfortable on long trips, practical around town, and unstoppable off-road.

The 4x4 system does a great job, and the handling and suspension is excellent. I have a bench seat in the front so I can fit six people. I feel safe with the dual airbags and great crash test scores. It's a tank.

The quality of interior materials needs improvement; things break easily. Other than that, no complaints. People knock the Explorer's reliability, but they're fine if you change the oil every 3k and keep up w/the maintenance.

Respectable
By MrMattin2024

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with over 100,000 miles and it has not had any major problems. In the past year I replaced a bad thermostat ($7), a inside door handle ($12), and recently an air idle control sollonoid is going out ($104). The fuel economy is my biggest annoyance, at 15 mpg for most short trips around the area. But, it also has gotten a little over 20 mpg on some longer freeway trips. Overall, it's not a bad vehicle. Also very sure-footed in snow in 4x4 mode.

4x4, rear visibility, fold down 2/3 bench seat in back.

Better fuel economy and more torque (V6), better speakers.

• SUV