Used 1995 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
1995 Ford Explorer
By Judy

1995 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

My 1995 Ford Explorer now has 262,000 miles. I have never had ANY major problems with it. I consider it a very GOOD, well built vehicle.

Favorite Features

The body style is what drew me to it.

Ford Explorer
By D Boudreau

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Great to look at and fun to drive but expensive to maintain and not very economical gas mileage. Have had to do major transmission work and major air conditioning work. Would probably think twice about buying another Explorer, although this is my second one. Probably will look at Toyota next time around.

Favorite Features

Love the styling and the many creature comforts. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Somewhat tipsy at high speed; too much wind noise.

Great SUV
By Great SUV

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This ford has been good to me. No major problems. Just routine maintenance. I now have to trade it in as a clunker.

Favorite Features

Good looking exterior, roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

more power and better gas mileage

Transmission
By explorerisjunk

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

There is no option for me to list my model. It is a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4 V6 with automatic transmission. Transmission is junk in this vehicle--goes way too premature in the life of the vehicle no matter if you have driven on or off the road. Ford is getting ready to have a lawsuit slapped on them if they do not accept my request for a goodwill repair.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

Ford should build stronger transmission, especially for the [included] towing-package that comes with the XLT version.

Only negative is you can't rent a trailer.
By bethdriver

1995 Ford Explorer Expedition 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my 1995. I bought it ten years ago and paid $3,000 for it. In ten years I've replaced brakes, tires, driver window electric motor. The only problem I've had is with the dash lights (the lower half won't light up and even though I took it to a dealership and they "fixed" them...a month later they quit working again and the dealership would not fix them for free so I said screw it. The only other issue is that at about 180,000 miles, the OD light started blinking and it would not go into reverse, and it was chunking hard into lower gears. I was told new transmission was needed. Nope. Just a new VSS and clear the codes, and another 40,000 miles later, still going strong!

Favorite Features

Soft, comfy seats, great heater and a/c. Sits high so you can see over other cars. Huge cargo area, carries anything you want. Love the side step to get in. Love the push button lock on the door. Love the 20mpg gas mileage. Love the sun roof! LOVE how it goes in the snow and how well the auto 4WD works! Love this vehicle in almost all ways. Love how the paint always looks like its just been waxed. Love the cute wheel design.

Suggested Improvements

Ford screwed up on the design - and no one will rent you a trailer of any kind. Sucks, since this vehicle came with a tow package. It is pretty squirrley in strong wind....I used to have a trans am, and you could face gale force winds at 70mph and not even feel them. This...well, I got stopped by a cop once on the long highway stretch going home cuz he thought I was drunk. Nope...just unable to keep the SUV in a straight line in the wind. - Just a note. I used to drag race in my younger days - I was a tomboy, worked on my own 69 Mustang. I know my cars....