Used 1995 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Fine Car
By Irus

1995 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

The only thing I have done to this Limited is change the oil and one set of tires.It still has the orignal battery.A couple of interior lights dont work. My car in Irus Frost and still looks new. I bought this car new when they came out late in 1994. I have made 6 trips to South West Florida from Ohio no problems. I like my Explorer.It has every thing but sun roof.

Favorite Features

Color ride confort ride four wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

The interior lighting could be a little better.

Loving Explorers
By Cristi

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This is the second Explorer we have owned. My husband drove his 1991 to over 200,000 miles before it puttered out. My 1995 is at 209,000 and still running strong. Any repairs on this thing have been minor and relatively low cost. I would definitely buy another Explorer.

Favorite Features

Roomy, powerful, low maintenance, easy to keep clean.

Suggested Improvements

My check engine light comes on after about 100 miles of constant driving. This has been happening for years, even to the previous owner. I've had it checked and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, it's just a glitch.

most reliable car
By C. Davis

1995 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have owned this car for over 10 year and the only repairs that i have ever had were to replace an oxygen sensor and another to replace a transmission sensor. This car is an absolute tank. Starts every time and shifts great. I know other people with 200,000+ on their '95 Explorer and they are still running great.

Favorite Features

Very nimble, the turning radius is insane - i can park anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is loud when driving at highway speeds.

Some Features hard to get on new cars
By rabideen

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Best looking Explorer Ford has ever released. The oversize two tone wheel wells and smooth lines make it a gem. Cool features in the 1995 Bauer include: 1) Retractable Antenna 2) Information Center (includes miles to empty, average fuel mileage and oil life remaining) 3) Auto-dimming rear view mirror 4) Compass 5) Two-Way sun visors (front and side) 6) Built-in tissue holder 7) Both driver and passenger power seats. Incredible protection if you're in a head-on collision. I was just in one yesterday. A car was heading the wrong direction on the Interstate. I hit it at about 40-50 MPH, both airbags deployed and I was able to walk away from accident with barely a scratch.

Favorite Features

Automation and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Side impact airbags and anti-roll.

Expensive Ride
By John

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Eddie Bauer Explorer used with 47,000 miles on it. First year was great, but after that, everything started breaking. This is the most expensive vehicle maintenance-wise that I have ever owned. The electrical system has numerous "gremlin" type problems, fuel economy is not great and the ride has always been less than smooth. Definitely not a "Suburban-like" ride. Added to this, I had to replace the transmission at 106,000 miles. I changed transmission fluid every 5-7K miles, and this should not have happened. Also, Ford never fixed the faulty rear-main seal configuration for this engine, so a small oil leak is the norm. Recommend against it unless you just love spending money on repairs.

Favorite Features

It's a very nice looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, fuel economy, just about everything except for the looks of the vehicle.