Used 1995 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Nice SUV
By Al

1995 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the Explorer new in April 1995. It now has 137K miles and is running really good. Had to replace the transmission at 85K (Ford helped with the cost) and upgraded to the 5 speed. Replaced all ball joints at 90K and lowers again at 134K. Other than that, followed maintenance schedule and oil changes every 3K miles. The engine still runs smooth. It's amazing after 11 years of driving how tight this vehicle still is. No rattles or squeaks, just a nice firm ride. Waxed every year and the paint is literally showroom new. This is a well built quality vehicle. I've had five guys including myself and all our golf gear in here with no problem. And it's great in the snow!

Favorite Features

Vehicle is the right size, ability to hold lots of cargo, reliable, nice looking and absolutely great in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Lower maintenance costs and improved gas mileage. I have the 3.73 limited slip differential (with towing pkg) and because of this get 1-2 miles less per gallon. I get 20-21 mpg highway, and 15-16 mpg overall, but I live in SE Wisconsin with reformulated gas which gives you about 10% reduced mileage.

Good 1st Vehicle
By Bre

1995 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

We bought the car with 80,000 miles already on it. I got it when I was 16. One wreck and one ticket. 3 transmissions and 3 sets of brakes. Minor problems with horn, antenna, etc. Mud tires look pretty good on it.

Favorite Features

Sun Roof!

Suggested Improvements

Personally I don't like Ford motors after 120,000 miles unless you're willing to spend time and money.

Ford - Fix Or Repair Daily Exploder
By amy

1995 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

We bought our Eddie Bauer used from a pro hockey player who had it garaged with very little miles for its age. He had all records and it seemed to be a great car. We loved it for about a year and then all the bells and whistles fell off. We are now on our 4th transmission. We have almost paid more to fix the car than if we had bought it new. Will never buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Rear air conditioning in the Arizona heat is a blessing. Too bad Ford is about the only one who does it.

Suggested Improvements

Ford dealers could be a lot more helpful.

Great SUV
By johnb56

1995 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have driven this car for 11 years with no major problems. Even received free tires when they recalled the Firestones. This has been a great vehicle but with 152,000 miles, I am now thinking of buying a new one.

Favorite Features

Perfect size for putting the kayak on top. Interior design is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Satisfied so far
By Wags

1995 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Switched out from a 99 4Runner to lose car payment. Biggest difference is in the ride. Much harsher than the 4Runner, noiser too. Power from the v6 adequate but I live in CO at 5500 ft so this is expected (4Runner wasn't much different). I have always had Ford or Toyota vehicles and been satisfied with both. These trucks are very good for the money. Much more interior room than 4Runner. Gas mileage around 15-16. 4Runner was about 17-19.

Favorite Features

No car payment! Roomy & comfortable interior. Nice exterior. Overall build quality good. Good 4wd system with a real LOW range. Reliable and easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Standard V6 low on power but I knew that going in. Heated leather seat option would be nice. I will be adding this feature soon.