1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Would Not Buy Again
By Would Not Buy Again on 01/17/05 21:33 PM (PST)

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

In two years of ownership I have had to spend well over $5,000 on repairs. Was dealer vehicle as well, so it should have been fine. Rear windows don't work well, transmission had to be replaced, many interior lights out, certain switches do not respond well, does not handle very well, acceleration leaves something to be desired, power antenna went out, gas mileage average (17 MPG average), the interior is loud during ride, and the suspension is really bumpy. I have enjoyed it sometimes, but it is too expensive to maintain and it seems as though something else breaks too frequently. The car just doesn't seem to hold up well over time. I hope to get more out of it, but I don't see buying one again.

95' Explorer
By MR. Hart on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

best suv avalible they say i have to put atlest 15 words... no need it is a great car

I love it
By Rampage4 on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 120,000 miles on it, the only problem i've had so far is the transfer case is starting to whine but thats only because i've been "pushing it to it's limits". I have the five speed and it's pretty fun to drive. Other then normal matanince costs, i havent had to spend a dime on fixing it. Also it's a dram in the snow, i drovew through 17 inches in albany in 4 wheel auto with no sliding problems!

Maybe we just didn't get lucky
By Sean Pitt on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I like the car as far as the interior goes, but we have had many mechanical problems. The main thing we replaced was the transmission. Even now, there is a delay when we change gears from park and nearly every time the car shifts, a thud comes from underneath the car. There is short in the switch for washer fluid. The automatic A/C doesn't work very well (your either cold or warm, not much of a middle). When idiling, the car will sometimes shake and shut off. Lots of squeaks and rattles. The ride is also very bumpy. Carfax says there is nothing fishy with its history, and we had it checked by a Ford dealership mechanic before we bought it. What happened?

95 explorer
By n3oty on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Lots of fit and trim problems at the beginning but fixed under warrantee. Haven't done much in the last 50k miles except change the oil.

Eddie Bauer
By Howard on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Excellent automobile. Have only had to perform routine maintaince to keep it going strong. I purchased in 1997 with 43000 miles on it. I would like a new pick-up truck but can't bring myself to sell my Explorer. It's just been far to reliable a vehicle over the years.

about to buy another one
By explo420 on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1995 XLT V6 4x4 and have pushed it to its limits only to have it ask for more. I bought it with 78k miles on it and I'm about to sell it with 111k on it. My new car is a 2001 Limited Edition, because I enjoyed my '95 so much. Its comfortable on long trips, practical around town, and unstoppable off-road.

Respectable
By MrMattin2024 on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with over 100,000 miles and it has not had any major problems. In the past year I replaced a bad thermostat ($7), a inside door handle ($12), and recently an air idle control sollonoid is going out ($104). The fuel economy is my biggest annoyance, at 15 mpg for most short trips around the area. But, it also has gotten a little over 20 mpg on some longer freeway trips. Overall, it's not a bad vehicle. Also very sure-footed in snow in 4x4 mode.

Love my ride
By BMarshallLRCS on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Only had my Limited 3 days, but cannot say enough about the quality. Bought it with 93000 miles. Still runs and sounds new! NO Rattles, squeeks, etc. like you would expect. Overall GREAT!!

Great car, if u take car of it
By afiretofight on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

we've had this car in the family since it was first purchased, and it has been running until last last year. It had been through 4 accidents, repeated trips of over 500 miles, driven 100 miles a days, 5 days a week, for 9 years, and if we had taken car of it better, the 4wd would still work(dont drive with it on 4wd auto all the time), along with the ball joints), and other minor things. Tranny died because car had 182000 miles on it, but it ran fine until then