Used 1995 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

It has been good to me
By JD

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Explorer in April of 1995 and I ready to sell it now because it is finally showing its age but I got my money's worth out it.

Great in the snow, very comfortable to drive, held up pretty good after all these years

Radio is not great, poor visabilty with a few too many blind spots

Great ride but loses its Spark
By artwolf

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this vehicle. but seem to have a little gremlin in the rlectrical system. Keep having components that will work for a while, then die, only to start working again later. Cannot trace the prob;lem down. A real pain. Fuel cost is on the high side with only abou 16 mp/g on good days. But it's paid for and looks great. 4WD tends to grind a bit and really kills the turn radius. But works like a charm when needed on ice and snow. Center cosnsole is vinyl not leather. Rear bass speaker practically impossible to change. Paint is not holding up to bird droppings. Abysmal acceleration in 6-cyl.

Leather interior with unique Sea Foam Green interior. Rear disc breaks with drum emergency system.

Simplify the electrical system and improve fuel economy. Modularize the rear Bass speaker. Factory remote-start/keyless entry option. Improve top coat on exterior. Improve acceleration.

Ford Explorer
By [abm]

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My 2WD model has held up for 11 years and 200 thousand miles, and it still works. Although I have had to replace many things, Ford is not lying when they say "Built Ford Tough."

The styling is generic and not too out there. The controls are easy to find, and the car is easy to park.

Needs more power. 160 HP is not enough. The fuel consumption could be better and the electrical system is normally shot after 10 years.

My 'Eddie' has taken care of me
By tywms

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 6 cylinder SUV in '99 with 43k miles and currently has 135k miles on it. Hadn't had ANY major problems with it until now -- transmission needs a rebuild as I write this. But primarily have just done routine basic maintenance and it has served well. It still runs well -- no engine noise, leaks, etc. but the 2nd gear is shot. Still looks good and am hoping that after repair this vehicle will continue to serve me well for as many years as I can get out of it. Good value for the money.

6-disc changer with JBL system, dual power seats, console notification system (i.e. change oil), nice leather seats, numbered key-entry on the driver's door (locked-up keys a few times -- no problem).

KNOWN TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS needs improvement! Needs higher profile with larger tires.

1995 Ford Explorer
By Judy

1995 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

My 1995 Ford Explorer now has 262,000 miles. I have never had ANY major problems with it. I consider it a very GOOD, well built vehicle.

The body style is what drew me to it.