Used 1995 Ford Explorer Expedition SUV Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Only negative is you can't rent a trailer.
By bethdriver

1995 Ford Explorer SUV Expedition 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my 1995. I bought it ten years ago and paid $3,000 for it. In ten years I've replaced brakes, tires, driver window electric motor. The only problem I've had is with the dash lights (the lower half won't light up and even though I took it to a dealership and they "fixed" them...a month later they quit working again and the dealership would not fix them for free so I said screw it. The only other issue is that at about 180,000 miles, the OD light started blinking and it would not go into reverse, and it was chunking hard into lower gears. I was told new transmission was needed. Nope. Just a new VSS and clear the codes, and another 40,000 miles later, still going strong!

Soft, comfy seats, great heater and a/c. Sits high so you can see over other cars. Huge cargo area, carries anything you want. Love the side step to get in. Love the push button lock on the door. Love the 20mpg gas mileage. Love the sun roof! LOVE how it goes in the snow and how well the auto 4WD works! Love this vehicle in almost all ways. Love how the paint always looks like its just been waxed. Love the cute wheel design.

Ford screwed up on the design - and no one will rent you a trailer of any kind. Sucks, since this vehicle came with a tow package. It is pretty squirrley in strong wind....I used to have a trans am, and you could face gale force winds at 70mph and not even feel them. This...well, I got stopped by a cop once on the long highway stretch going home cuz he thought I was drunk. Nope...just unable to keep the SUV in a straight line in the wind. - Just a note. I used to drag race in my younger days - I was a tomboy, worked on my own 69 Mustang. I know my cars....

If not for the transmission!
By JDM428

After 135000 miles and 1 rebuilt and 3
remanufactured transmissions we have
loved all but the obvious. The engine
control module was replaced with the
last transmission 36000 miles ago and
our fingers are crossed. Great ride
and interior comfort combined with an
exceptional sound system has kept this
vehicle in the driveway despite the
transmission problem. Best in the snow
we have ever had!

Interior comfort/ride Snow traction Sound system

Transmission!!!!! Ford's backing of the transmission!!! Brakes should have been beefed up.

I dig it
By Jeri

1995 Ford Explorer SUV Expedition 2dr SUV 4WD

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Explorer.
It's just too bad that it's a 2-Dr
vehicle. I'm having a baby and have to
trade it for a 4-Dr.