Used 1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good 1st Vehicle
By Bre

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

We bought the car with 80,000 miles already on it. I got it when I was 16. One wreck and one ticket. 3 transmissions and 3 sets of brakes. Minor problems with horn, antenna, etc. Mud tires look pretty good on it.

Favorite Features

Sun Roof!

Suggested Improvements

Personally I don't like Ford motors after 120,000 miles unless you're willing to spend time and money.

Ford - Fix Or Repair Daily Exploder
By amy

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

We bought our Eddie Bauer used from a pro hockey player who had it garaged with very little miles for its age. He had all records and it seemed to be a great car. We loved it for about a year and then all the bells and whistles fell off. We are now on our 4th transmission. We have almost paid more to fix the car than if we had bought it new. Will never buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Rear air conditioning in the Arizona heat is a blessing. Too bad Ford is about the only one who does it.

Suggested Improvements

Ford dealers could be a lot more helpful.

Some Features hard to get on new cars
By rabideen

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Best looking Explorer Ford has ever released. The oversize two tone wheel wells and smooth lines make it a gem. Cool features in the 1995 Bauer include: 1) Retractable Antenna 2) Information Center (includes miles to empty, average fuel mileage and oil life remaining) 3) Auto-dimming rear view mirror 4) Compass 5) Two-Way sun visors (front and side) 6) Built-in tissue holder 7) Both driver and passenger power seats. Incredible protection if you're in a head-on collision. I was just in one yesterday. A car was heading the wrong direction on the Interstate. I hit it at about 40-50 MPH, both airbags deployed and I was able to walk away from accident with barely a scratch.

Favorite Features

Automation and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Side impact airbags and anti-roll.

Would Not Buy Again
By Would Not Buy Again

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

In two years of ownership I have had to spend well over $5,000 on repairs. Was dealer vehicle as well, so it should have been fine. Rear windows don't work well, transmission had to be replaced, many interior lights out, certain switches do not respond well, does not handle very well, acceleration leaves something to be desired, power antenna went out, gas mileage average (17 MPG average), the interior is loud during ride, and the suspension is really bumpy. I have enjoyed it sometimes, but it is too expensive to maintain and it seems as though something else breaks too frequently. The car just doesn't seem to hold up well over time. I hope to get more out of it, but I don't see buying one again.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, plenty of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Bumpy, loud ride. Not much power. Poor interior craftsmanship.

Maybe we just didn't get lucky
By Sean Pitt

1995 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I like the car as far as the interior goes, but we have had many mechanical problems. The main thing we replaced was the transmission. Even now, there is a delay when we change gears from park and nearly every time the car shifts, a thud comes from underneath the car. There is short in the switch for washer fluid. The automatic A/C doesn't work very well (your either cold or warm, not much of a middle). When idiling, the car will sometimes shake and shut off. Lots of squeaks and rattles. The ride is also very bumpy. Carfax says there is nothing fishy with its history, and we had it checked by a Ford dealership mechanic before we bought it. What happened?

Favorite Features

I like the auto-dimming rear view mirror and the power mirrors, windows, and seats. Enough cargo room as well, especially since the back seats fold down. The controls for everything are fairly well placed.

Suggested Improvements

The A/C does not work very well for an in between temp, great for cold and warm, but not really cool. Build quality does not seem to be fantastic. The radio and some other displays have burnt out. Bumpy ride.