1994 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: So Far So Good

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

So Far So Good
By Matt on

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this as a winter vehicle. Wasn't looking for an Explorer but the price was good ($2,400) for what I got. 119K miles, ZERO rust (rare for Northeast Pennsylvania), and no fluid leaks. The underside is unexpectedly clean. So far I had to put in an AC comp. clutch, steering bushings, EGR sensor and front rotors. I also replaced the horrible stock speakers. I've heard horror stories about the tranny (main concern before buying) so I bought an extended warranty. Mine is OK except when its cold reverse takes a second or 2. Going to change the fluid. It has push button 4WD but manual hubs... replaced before I bought. That's another common problem, so I've heard. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Styling... liked it ever since watching Jurassic Park as a kid. Simple interior with nice touches (courtesy lights). No airbags. Not a crossover or cute ute but a true SUV that can go off the beaten path if needed (A rarity these days). Plenty of space. Ride height. Handles better than expected.

More power... the 302 V8 in the 1996-2001 would do nicely. Powered versus manual sunroof. Reading lights in sunroof equipped models. Lit power switches. Can't gripe about the MPG as I have a Cobalt as a daily driver. Bigger glove box.