A Solid, Reliable Truck. 1994 Ford Explorer Sport, 2 DR, Auto
By yragsapo on
1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD
I bought my 1994 Ford Explorer Sport in May, 1994 and it has been pretty reliable over the years. I'd have to say it's weakest point has been its tranny, which required rebuilds in Jan '00, Dec '02 and another one now, as I write this. This is with the trailer towing package with the auxiliary tranny cooler, though I never towed anything with the truck. There have been other parts that have been changed over the years, but not at a faster rate than one would expect. I have to admit though, If I didn't have GEICO's mechanical breakdown coverage, I probably wouldn't have this truck still. I'm grandfathered in under the old plan that was offerred in NY with unlimited time and mileage (I pay the 1st $250 of any major repair). They will total the vehicle if the repair is over 75% of appraised value, which is around $2000 for my truck. All the talk of the repairs aside, this truck has been my companion for 17 years and I consider it a part of me. We've explored all over this country together and I'm determined to see its 250K mile "birthday" in the next couple of years, when I can tell people it's driven the distance to the moon (and not at the closest point in its orbit). At $223,500 now. I would also like to see my 14 y/o learn to drive in this truck when he turns 17.
Favorite Features
Reliable workhorse of a truck. Lots of interior cargo space. Fold down rear seats.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission, brakes, interior door handles. When doing tune ups, one of the spark plugs is a real bear to get at due to the positioning of one of the A/C components.