Great truck
By will on
1994 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV
I have had it for over a year. It has over 250,000 miles on it. Changed radius arm bushing and oil changes that's about it goes. Everywhere wouldn't give it up for the world.
Favorite Features
never stops running
Suggested Improvements
locks and windows
By gandyh
on 12/28/10 19:53 PM (PST)

Its mechanical and they all break....great truck though. Bought mine ( 4x4 XLT ) used with 40k miles on it. 10 years later and 156k...I've replaced the automatic transmission, radiator, shocks, fuel sensor, egr valve and power window bushings..... Will keep it for another 10 years as long as I can get parts. It's a workhorse and very dependable...goes everywhere..and its very roomy and comfortable. 15mpg in town and 18mpg on the highway.. GREAT TRUCK.....but, its mechanical and stuff breaks..:) :)

By yragsapo
on 06/05/11 07:38 AM (PDT)

I bought my 1994 Ford Explorer Sport in May, 1994 and it has been pretty reliable over the years. I'd have to say it's weakest point has been its tranny, which required rebuilds in Jan '00, Dec '02 and another one now, as I write this. This is with the trailer towing package with the auxiliary tranny cooler, though I never towed anything with the truck. There have been other parts that have been changed over the years, but not at a faster rate than one would expect. I have to admit though, If I didn't have GEICO's mechanical breakdown coverage, I probably wouldn't have this truck still. I'm grandfathered in under the old plan that was offerred in NY with unlimited time and mileage (I pay the 1st $250 of any major repair). They will total the vehicle if the repair is over 75% of appraised value, which is around $2000 for my truck. All the talk of the repairs aside, this truck has been my companion for 17 years and I consider it a part of me. We've explored all over this country together and I'm determined to see its 250K mile "birthday" in the next couple of years, when I can tell people it's driven the distance to the moon (and not at the closest point in its orbit). At $223,500 now. I would also like to see my 14 y/o learn to drive in this truck when he turns 17.