Used 1994 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sporty old 2 dr explorer
By Rosy

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

This little thing has done very well under some rather tough usage. It's actually quick and fun to drive - not at all like it's 4 door big brother who turns like a boat and rocks and rolls over bumps like an elephant -but he does hold more stuff! Keep up the maintance and little things do go wrong, but.. it will hang in there.

Favorite Features

Quick and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

IMprove clutch assembly that we had to improve twice and access to back seat - bad for people over 30.

oldie but goodie
By rsaunt

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought in '97 with 37000miles. The dealer did a very poor job of prepping vehicle and a few days later the wipers were actually shredding during a heavy rain. Then about 3 months later the differential had to be replaced. According to my mechanic, the original leaser must have done a lot of beach driving because differential was rusted and full of sand. I blame that on the dealer (and me for not having mechanic check before purchase!). Since then it has been literally trouble-free... change oil every 3000miles, brakes when needed, and it just keeps going. Just reached 100000miles and am about to trade it in and get 2003 Explorer.

Favorite Features

mechanical reliability

Suggested Improvements

smoother ride

I Used To Love Her
By alice12345

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Explorer for almost 3 and a half years now and I have put more than 65000 miles on it. Favorite vehicle I ever owned. But when she turned over 100,000 miles all kinds of sensors started going bad and all had to be replaced. The camshaft positioning sensor alone cost over $600 including the labor. Not to mention, I am constantly having to have the steering gear adjusted. I love my car, and only wished it would last longer! The repairs have gotten to be too much, but I will be purchasing another explorer.

Favorite Features

Lots of room, great interior design. VERY comfortable to drive and great for roadtrips. Also very reliable...even with the "Check Engine" light on, I would not hesitate to drive it cross country.

Suggested Improvements

MOVE THE GAS PEDAL TO THE LEFT ABOUT 1 INCH!!!!(My shoe always gets caught on the "hump" in the middle.) Also needs more power going uphill. And all of the sensors either need to last longer, or burn out at different times. Otherwise, this is a GREAT vehicle.

It's just ok
By dsershion

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

At 72K the transmission died. The second died soon after. The power stearing leaks. 4wd broken. Differential leaked. Multiple coolant leaks. Replaces ball joints both sides. Ac never worked since I've had it. Only getting 260 to a tank. Used to get 340. Even after replacing mass airflow sensor and both oxygen sensors, it did not help. I'm even using factory recommended plugs! Also have rust forming inside of my door jams and on the bottom of each door since the design allows for trapped water. Now with 150K, I have developed a new oil leak. Fortunately I think it's just the valve cover gasket.

Favorite Features

The cargo space provided by folding down the rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic 4 wheel drive assembly. Moor room for rear passengers. Use better quality individual engine components such as gaskets, power steering units, radiators, TRANSMISSIONS, ect...

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
By Quality is Job #1

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle. Like most other Fords, needed AC work. Fun to drive. Very reliable. Stylish enough to take on the town, yet rugged enough to go for a week in the woods. The fold-down rear seats make the cargo area very roomy when needed. ~15 mpg in the city - not bad for a 10-yr old SUV!

Favorite Features

Push-button 4x4 Fold-down rear seats Center console Gas mileage (for a SUV)

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to fix the joints on their AC system. Leak all the time.