Used 1994 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Outstanding
By G Dogg

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Over a quarter of a million miles and still going strong. The first 4 years pulled a 24' boat every weekend in the summer. Have only used Mobil 1 oil in it. 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of front pads and 2 sets on the rear. 1 alternator, 2 batteries. Replaced the hoses and belts for the 1st time this year just because of the age. No rust on the vehicle and we live in Wisconsin.

Favorite Features

Love it so much we bought another in 2002 and we still have the '94.

Satisfied Explorer
By triple_tap

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

We bought this vehicle to move across the country with, and in hopes that it would last us without any problems for the 3 years I am in law school. 2 years down, 1 to go and the only thing of any consequence was replacing the brakes! Very satisfied with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room inside (I am 6'6"). Room to haul the dog around when we want to, or friends. Been on road trips with it, and it was great!

Suggested Improvements

About the only thing that I say "I wish this were different" is the size of the storage in the console. I wish it were a bit larger! Everything else has performed up to or exceeded our expectations.

Satifsfied, would buy another one
By John

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Purchased this vehicle used in 1997 with 36,000 miles.. It has been a reliable vehicle overall. It now has 138,000+ and still going strong. It doesn't use oil, Transmission is still original (serviced every 40,000 miles). New radiator this past year and waterpump. Had a problem with water temp. gauge in 2003; new circuit board fixed problem. Only complaint is auto hubs went bad (plastic components) and would cost approx.$800.00 to fix from Ford dealer. Had manual hubs installed for half the price.

Favorite Features

Lots of interior room for cargo and passengers. Excellent visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Quto locking hubs were of inferior materials (plastic parts).

Loyal Explorer Owner
By TPC

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1994 Explorer XLT about 10 years ago and still enjoy driving it. It has a sunroof and manual transmission which makes it fun. It currently has 130,000 miles. Had some problems with the power windows. The steering rod is loose but nothing too serious. I've had some instances where the car wouldn't start (engine turns). If I let it sit for a few minutes, it will usually start up. I've had the engine quit a few times while driving, now that was scary. These problems just started happening in the past couple years. Probably just due to old age and my frugality in getting the car repaired correctly.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, sunroof, the ability to open up only the window on back instead of entire hatchback. Tons of space when the rear seats are folded down. I've moved a small sofa before.

Suggested Improvements

Needs rear headrests. My backseat passengers are like bobbleheads. Needs the ability to unlock rear passenger doors with a key (no keyholes). Needs ability to unlock all doors from the rear (like the newer Explorers)

explorer experience was terrible
By eddiejoe

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

after buying what was rated by CR as a "good buy," I've had nothing but trouble from this 1994 sport model. The undercarriage is rusting out, the tranny went out twice, the ignition module has been replaced twice, windshield washer motors replaced, ac gives out, emissions equipment no longer will pass smog requirements and so on... Without a warranty I would have paid twice for this vehicle, oh did I mention that I had to replace the firestones before the recall was established?