1994 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
ole faithful
By kil on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

ordered it brand new from the factory and have not been disappointed since. Had to put a new slave cylinder in and change the cluth, bit thats it!! Peolple have mentioned that the brakes burn out too quick, well, that's when the lifetime replacement guarantee at Firestone comes in handy. 94,000 and starts everytime I turn the key. The most dependable vehicle a person could ask for. when I finish driving this one into the ground, I could only be so lucky to find something as ole faithful. All in all, a great truck.

195K and its still ticking
By UncleVic on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This is a great family vehicle. Spacious interior, comfortable long rides. Rebuilt heads @ 150K, liftgate air struts replaced, but otherwise very strong. Power good but not exciting.

Still Goin' Strong
By morfman on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

This baby has 130,000+ miles and runs as good as the day I bought it. Nary a speck of rust for being exposed to road salt every winter. Mostly rides like a truck, but handles nice. V-6 runs smooth, but sluggish on hills. Replaced both radial arm bushings, breaks, shocks. Manual trany leaks a little oil. I'm keeping it a while longer. I hate new car payments.

Good buy for the Buck
By sil on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Good overall domestic vehicle... I have no major complaints other then I go through brakes like crazy!!! Fuel economy is nothing to call home about but everyone knows that when buying a SUV type vehicle...I tried out all the competitors and other then the Pathfinder backseat, I found it to be the most roomy and comfortable vehicle in its class...

Never a major malfunction....148,000
By FORDMOM on 01/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle new off the lot. I have never had any major mechanical problems. I have always kept up good maintenance practices though. I hit a deer hear on last year... Only took out the grill and a slight wrinkle in the right front quarterpanel. I'll buy another FORD someday... but am sticking with my Green Machine for now.

179k Miles... so far.
By Slumlord on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This has been the best car anyone in my family has ever had. Bought for $7000 with about 30k on it, still going very strong. Has to replace the water pump at about 100k, aside from that only gas, oil, tires, brake pads and love have gone into the car. Gets 23 MPG or so (no joke drove from pittsburgh to indy on 3/4 of a tank), heat is hot and A/C is cold. Very strong acceleration and plenty of room to pack friends in.

don't buy
By fordowner1 on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I had to pay for this vehicle basically twice. I put 2 transmittions and one clutch in it. The vehicle still rides rough. Has many other minor problems. Overall, worst vehicle I ever bought.

Classic, Reliable SUV
By bucko on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car at 36k miles in '02, and it is a great car, that never seems to faulter. He kept it in immaculate condition, so i know it hasn't even been "broken into" yet.-- IT's a great drive; comfortable and smooth (for an older model SUV).

Explorer
By mos on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

1996-2002 Rebuilt Transmission Repaired Air Conditioning New Tires (Recalled) New Shocks Liftgate Recalled

94Explorer
By fordowner on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

147,000 and still kicking. I've used the trcuk for Family outings, long trips, boat towing, hunting and fishing trips, other than a few sets of tires and brakes, I've replaced nothing. I'm religious about oil changes and have done them every 5,000 miles, which is inbetween what Frod recommneds for light (7,000) and Heavy (3,000) duty use, but the engine still runs strong and the A/C will still freeeze you out ! I'm about to get a 2003, so I hope I have the same experience !