Used 1994 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Best vehicle I've ever had.
By steve

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My 94 Explorer has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. When it had 144,000 miles on it, I drove it cross country, from CA to NC, hauling a load inside. It now has a little over 148,000 miles on her, and she runs like a champ. Small windshield leak, and axle seals are staring to go, but other than that, an awesome vehicle.

Durability, on-the -dash push button 4X4, rugged looks, better gas mileage than a Tahoe, or other SUV's.

Nothing, runs and works like a champ.

Wish I'd bought the extended warranty
By R

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it used. With all the necessary repairs, the extended warranty would have helped. So much expensive repair work was needed that I would have been better off buying a new SUV. 4 wheel drive went out soon after purchase, engine sensor was very expensive, door wouldn't open and another door handle was going too, transmission went out too. Add me to the list of folks who will never buy another Ford product.

That it will soon be replaced.

Fix the awful quality problems or terminate the product line.

94 XL 4dr Explorer
By steve

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

An awesome SUV, great off road and in the snow. Only qualms are fuel economy, stiff ride, and lack of power.

On the fly 4WD, reliability, body design.

Needs more power from a V6 engine.

1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD
By Ryan

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has a nice balance between off road functionality and on road drivability. The Interior is comfortable as well as versatile. The 4.0L V-6 is a little underpowered, but highly reliable, and does supply enough torque for moderate towing. The SUV has a good turning radius, and visibility allowing comfortable driving in tight areas and heavy traffic.

Versatility, dependability, comfort.

More power, stronger flywheel.

Head On Crunched in Half
By broken feet and legs

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought the Explorer in July of '05. I drove it and had problems with the brakes and it going through tires much too fast, a bad battery cable, etc. It used oil. The dealership I bought it from said they had completely checked the vehicle out and it was in great condition. On Thanksgiving as I was driving to my aunts, a man in a Dodge Caravan hit me head on at full speed on the front driver side and completely crunched the entire front end into my feet and body. I became encased in the metal and steering wheel. I was cut out of the car and life flighted with 2 broken legs, head injury, lacerated spleen and liver. A month after I can't walk or stand.

Leather seats, good stereo, lots of space, power everything. It was a great vehicle until the accident when it crunched around me and almost killed me.

Crash testing. Improve the front end so it doesn't close people in metal in accidents and almost kill them.