Used 1994 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love my truck
By D. Simmons

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my truck with 186000 miles. It now has 262000 miles on it. I've had to replace the computer, rad.,blower motor, frost plug and window clips. It now needs a transmission. I still love my truck. It has been a very reliable truck. It has been used by all members of my family. I am sad to finally give up my truck. If I could I would replace the tranmisson. Thumbs up to 1994 Ford Explorers.

Favorite Features

4wd, Seats, roomy interior, visibility, comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

vacuum lines,window clips

Great Truck
By Josh

1994 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with around 230,000 miles on it wondering what i was getting myself into. This truck is great. Great in the snow, always starts, great sound system, lots of cargo room, feels like I'm sitting on a lazy boy driving around, it is so smooth. The car has also aged gracefully. I had to make a few minor repairs but that is to expected with such an old vehicle. The gas milage is not great but you can't control gas prices. I love the truck overall and it is still going strong after 300,000. I'm going to hold on to this truck as long as I can. The front seats have so much room so much better than riding in a 2010 sardin can.

Favorite Features

Sound system, power everything you can think of, sun roof, leather seats, tons of room, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage

So Far So Good
By Matt

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this as a winter vehicle. Wasn't looking for an Explorer but the price was good ($2,400) for what I got. 119K miles, ZERO rust (rare for Northeast Pennsylvania), and no fluid leaks. The underside is unexpectedly clean. So far I had to put in an AC comp. clutch, steering bushings, EGR sensor and front rotors. I also replaced the horrible stock speakers. I've heard horror stories about the tranny (main concern before buying) so I bought an extended warranty. Mine is OK except when its cold reverse takes a second or 2. Going to change the fluid. It has push button 4WD but manual hubs... replaced before I bought. That's another common problem, so I've heard. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Favorite Features

Styling... liked it ever since watching Jurassic Park as a kid. Simple interior with nice touches (courtesy lights). No airbags. Not a crossover or cute ute but a true SUV that can go off the beaten path if needed (A rarity these days). Plenty of space. Ride height. Handles better than expected.

Suggested Improvements

More power... the 302 V8 in the 1996-2001 would do nicely. Powered versus manual sunroof. Reading lights in sunroof equipped models. Lit power switches. Can't gripe about the MPG as I have a Cobalt as a daily driver. Bigger glove box.

1994 Ford Explorer
By Joe60152

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck right after high school and it has been very reliable. The only problems i've had are the ball joints which i've done twice along with the right radius arm bushing that like to get hard,fall apart and make a really annoying squeaking noise due to it being so close to the catalytic converter. I suggest if replacing Napa makes a high heat style bushing i put 2 regular bushings in 50000 miles before finally replacing it the last time with the high heat and have not had a problem in 80000 miles since. I have had no major problems with this truck it now has 245000 and it still runs good on or off road

Great Midsize SUV
By smack650

1994 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been nothing but happy with my 94 XL V6 Explorer. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Great in the snow, on the beach, or in the mud. She has 148,000 miles on her and she runs like a champ. I've never had any problems although I have heard about transmissions going out after 100,000 miles so I changed all the fluid in the tranny, and the torque converter when I hit that mark. I will probably change it out every 4th or 5th oil change (which I do every 3,000 miles like clockwork) from here on out.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, durable, nice ride,plenty of room for gear of any sport or hobby, ie snowboarding, golfing, dirt bike riding, wakeboarding, etc.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is not the greatest, but its an SUV, you don't buy them for gas mileage, you buy them to haul people, things, or tow stuff