Used 1994 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Worth It!
By WeatherWoman1285

1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought this truck in 2005 after originally wanting an Expedition, but I absolutely love it. I am still driving it but am looking for something new. It got me through college several states from home and a huge move for a new job even more states away from home. It has been very dependable, however it is just getting old and many small annoying things are starting to go wrong with it. For spending most of its life in Midwest winters it has surprisingly little rust on the body and still looks great. I regret having to get rid of it but it has served its purpose very well and is an extremely comfortable ride. I definitely want to stick with another vehicle about the size of this.

Auto window down, very little blind spots, feel like you are high off the ground, very comfortable drive, spacey enough to fit passengers comfortably, over all a wonderful vehicle and worth the money.

I have had this vehicle for so long and all of the things that went wrong with it were simply age things so I can't really complain about that. As far as vehicle comfort and mechanics go, I don't think I have anything negative to say.

Costly
By Connie

1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

Started off great then one by one things started to fall apart. Trans has gone out twice and that was the last straw. Brakes are costly to maintain since it is 4WD and the interior door panels are poor quality. Air and heat keep going strong. Not very economical as far as gas is concerned--never got over 14 mpg. I would never buy one new, I'd go with something else entirely.

Power seats and windows and locks. Cold air and good heat.

Inside door panels better quality and better gas mileage

Love my truck
By D. Simmons

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my truck with 186000 miles. It now has 262000 miles on it. I've had to replace the computer, rad.,blower motor, frost plug and window clips. It now needs a transmission. I still love my truck. It has been a very reliable truck. It has been used by all members of my family. I am sad to finally give up my truck. If I could I would replace the tranmisson. Thumbs up to 1994 Ford Explorers.

4wd, Seats, roomy interior, visibility, comfortable ride.

vacuum lines,window clips

Great Truck
By Josh

1994 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with around 230,000 miles on it wondering what i was getting myself into. This truck is great. Great in the snow, always starts, great sound system, lots of cargo room, feels like I'm sitting on a lazy boy driving around, it is so smooth. The car has also aged gracefully. I had to make a few minor repairs but that is to expected with such an old vehicle. The gas milage is not great but you can't control gas prices. I love the truck overall and it is still going strong after 300,000. I'm going to hold on to this truck as long as I can. The front seats have so much room so much better than riding in a 2010 sardin can.

Sound system, power everything you can think of, sun roof, leather seats, tons of room, smooth ride.

Gas milage

So Far So Good
By Matt

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this as a winter vehicle. Wasn't looking for an Explorer but the price was good ($2,400) for what I got. 119K miles, ZERO rust (rare for Northeast Pennsylvania), and no fluid leaks. The underside is unexpectedly clean. So far I had to put in an AC comp. clutch, steering bushings, EGR sensor and front rotors. I also replaced the horrible stock speakers. I've heard horror stories about the tranny (main concern before buying) so I bought an extended warranty. Mine is OK except when its cold reverse takes a second or 2. Going to change the fluid. It has push button 4WD but manual hubs... replaced before I bought. That's another common problem, so I've heard. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Styling... liked it ever since watching Jurassic Park as a kid. Simple interior with nice touches (courtesy lights). No airbags. Not a crossover or cute ute but a true SUV that can go off the beaten path if needed (A rarity these days). Plenty of space. Ride height. Handles better than expected.

More power... the 302 V8 in the 1996-2001 would do nicely. Powered versus manual sunroof. Reading lights in sunroof equipped models. Lit power switches. Can't gripe about the MPG as I have a Cobalt as a daily driver. Bigger glove box.