1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ford's Stud
By ant on 05/06/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the explorer from my step dad with 128,000 miles on it. I Now have 278,000 miles on it and had to rebuild the trans when it had 187,000 miles on it. Still has the FACTORY engine that has not been rebuilt! No oil leaks, trans leaks, or burning of oil!!! No rust, and I live at the jersey shore. Outstanding truck, a true stud!! Absolutly Ford Tough!! I paid $400.00 for the truck and put over 160,000 miles on it and the only large fix was a $1,300.00 rebuild of the trans. Unreal, MADE IN AMERICA BABY!! Good strong truck, don't be afaid of the high miles on these trucks, they are like ford's honda!!!

not bad for a starter car
By bluesfan5 on 05/05/09 14:34 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

got my 1994 ford explorer eddie bauer. needed about $1500 worth of repair. After that, can't complain much more. Once you push her past 70 MPH it starts shaking violently and makes a ticking noise. It also gets bad city MPG. The factory speakers are also poor quality. Other than that, it is a fun car to pile in a cruise around in, good 4x4, fun to drive.

1994 Ford Explorer
By Hugo on 11/06/08 11:17 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Let me start off with the bad issues. The first thing I have to say is that the interior door handle design is the worst ever. I've seen many Explorers witht broken handles. Next, I hear a slight lifter knock from the engine. At first I thought I'd just drive it until the engine gives out then do a total valve job, well yeah that was 100k miles ago and hasn't caused any major issues, just annoying once in awhile. Well other than that the car has been fantastic. I just recently changed the radiator and fuel pump just for peace of mind since the car now has 333,000 miles on it and I figured it was time. I really think it could of gone longer but I sometimes use the car the take my 1 yr.

Love Hate Relationship
By Jewbacca on 06/07/08 00:58 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

The steering wheel is horrible. Hard to hold on to. I recomend getting an after-market steering wheel. The interior is built of cheap plastic with large gaps at the joints. The seats seem to have been built for dwarfs. Their is no head rests. This results in an uncomfortable ride, especially for your rear passengers who have nothing to rest their backs on. This makes for a potentially deadly outcome in any violent collision. I get an average of 14 mpg making this an expensive car to drive. The 94 Explorer has a surprisingly well ability to corner in the twisties and can be fun to drive in these situations. The acceleration isn't that bad either achieving a 0-62 rate of 12 seconds.

Reliability A+
By eric on 02/18/08 14:22 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This has been a great truck. I have 204,000 miles on it now with no major repairs needed. I've replaced the ball joints, front wheel bearings and front u-joints once. It's a very relible truck. Wouldn't think twice to take on road trip.

Lots of Repairs
By Chauncey Townsend on 02/10/08 13:27 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my Explorer! Bought w/ 90k on it. Drove 1 year fixed brakes, transmission went out. Fixed it, brakes bad again. Got rid off after 1 year when Ford replacement transmission started slippping again. Great ride, awesome 4wd- just costly to own. Be wary of high mileage Explorers and brakes wear fast in hilly areas.

Great Car If Maintained
By Cesar G on 05/24/07 15:07 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this car in 1995 from a private party. The car now has 235,000 miles and is still running strong. The only problem that I had was changing the starter besides that the regular maintance.

Thumbs up for the Explorer!
By ski_dog on 01/14/07 19:19 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought it used with 58K on it, and have added over 60K ourselves in the past 3 1/2 years. We have done maintenance, replaced the computer, and the automatic hubs need replacing. Besides that it has been flawless. Can't ask anymore out of a rig than that!

1994 Ford Explorer - Great SUV
By Greg on 12/16/06 10:12 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

We bought our 1994 Explorer from my wife's uncle and it has been outstanding. I keep thinking I should replace it with a new model but this one is so good I just can't bring myself to do it. My son loves driving it to college so who knows maybe in another year or so we will replace it...even though I doubt we would really need to do so.

94 - year of the BEAST
By Hartman on 12/12/06 07:31 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I have heard negative things about Explorers but in five years have not experienced them. I get 23 mpg hwy, which makes it the perfect travel car on my Ohio-Tenn trips for school. It conquered everything I threw at it as an immature 1st time 4wd owner (seriously I'm surprised this car is not stranded in a certain mudpit in Middle Tennessee). The most comfortable car, will haul it all, routine work - brakes,belts,etc. is dirt cheap (and I am a poor college student!). I have 155,000 on it now, a third of which is my doing, without a headache. As expected, transmission wear was easily solved with Lucas trans-fix additive. An $8 bottle has worked miracles for 17k miles.