Used 1994 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great truck
By will

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have had it for over a year. It has over 250,000 miles on it. Changed radius arm bushing and oil changes that's about it goes. Everywhere wouldn't give it up for the world.

Favorite Features

never stops running

Suggested Improvements

locks and windows

1994 Ford Explorer
By Hugo

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Let me start off with the bad issues. The first thing I have to say is that the interior door handle design is the worst ever. I've seen many Explorers witht broken handles. Next, I hear a slight lifter knock from the engine. At first I thought I'd just drive it until the engine gives out then do a total valve job, well yeah that was 100k miles ago and hasn't caused any major issues, just annoying once in awhile. Well other than that the car has been fantastic. I just recently changed the radiator and fuel pump just for peace of mind since the car now has 333,000 miles on it and I figured it was time. I really think it could of gone longer but I sometimes use the car the take my 1 yr.

Favorite Features

Transmission has been great since day one. I've never done any major work on it.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the interior door handle design.

Satisfied Explorer
By triple_tap

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

We bought this vehicle to move across the country with, and in hopes that it would last us without any problems for the 3 years I am in law school. 2 years down, 1 to go and the only thing of any consequence was replacing the brakes! Very satisfied with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room inside (I am 6'6"). Room to haul the dog around when we want to, or friends. Been on road trips with it, and it was great!

Suggested Improvements

About the only thing that I say "I wish this were different" is the size of the storage in the console. I wish it were a bit larger! Everything else has performed up to or exceeded our expectations.

Loyal Explorer Owner
By TPC

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1994 Explorer XLT about 10 years ago and still enjoy driving it. It has a sunroof and manual transmission which makes it fun. It currently has 130,000 miles. Had some problems with the power windows. The steering rod is loose but nothing too serious. I've had some instances where the car wouldn't start (engine turns). If I let it sit for a few minutes, it will usually start up. I've had the engine quit a few times while driving, now that was scary. These problems just started happening in the past couple years. Probably just due to old age and my frugality in getting the car repaired correctly.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, sunroof, the ability to open up only the window on back instead of entire hatchback. Tons of space when the rear seats are folded down. I've moved a small sofa before.

Suggested Improvements

Needs rear headrests. My backseat passengers are like bobbleheads. Needs the ability to unlock rear passenger doors with a key (no keyholes). Needs ability to unlock all doors from the rear (like the newer Explorers)

The Old Green Mare
By Newey

150,000 miles and still going strong

Favorite Features

Size and ride

Suggested Improvements

better brakes