1994 Ford Explorer Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1994 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

WORTH IT!
By jawmonkey1

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it 3 years ago at an auction for $200 with a badly rebuilt engine. They the put the head gaskets in upside down. Replaced all the rings and the bearings on a fresh block and all new gaskets. Most of the outer engine parts where original. Since then we've replaced water pump, alternator, battery, plugs,plug wires,clutch fan,ball joints,tires,radius arm bushings,door panel,MAF,Fuel filter,and clutch. Much of this was because I wanted it to perform at it's best.Would have did just fine without it. The gas mileage on the 5speed manual 4.0V6 is 18/20 City /22/26 Highway. But for 200 bucks this was a deal. Makes it from Phoenix to Denver no problem. Reliable and fun! Great on gas and roomy!

Favorite Features

Push Button 4X4. Roof Rack. Rear window and hatch open one or the other or both. Ground Clearance. Electric everything but seats. Cruise Control

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Don't have the flywheel turned get a new one! 2nd gear synthesizers hate people in general on all Fords. Goes in but not easily. Urethane radius arm bushings.

A Solid, Reliable Truck. 1994 Ford Explorer Sport, 2 DR, Auto
By yragsapo

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1994 Ford Explorer Sport in May, 1994 and it has been pretty reliable over the years. I'd have to say it's weakest point has been its tranny, which required rebuilds in Jan '00, Dec '02 and another one now, as I write this. This is with the trailer towing package with the auxiliary tranny cooler, though I never towed anything with the truck. There have been other parts that have been changed over the years, but not at a faster rate than one would expect. I have to admit though, If I didn't have GEICO's mechanical breakdown coverage, I probably wouldn't have this truck still. I'm grandfathered in under the old plan that was offerred in NY with unlimited time and mileage (I pay the 1st $250 of any major repair). They will total the vehicle if the repair is over 75% of appraised value, which is around $2000 for my truck. All the talk of the repairs aside, this truck has been my companion for 17 years and I consider it a part of me. We've explored all over this country together and I'm determined to see its 250K mile "birthday" in the next couple of years, when I can tell people it's driven the distance to the moon (and not at the closest point in its orbit). At $223,500 now. I would also like to see my 14 y/o learn to drive in this truck when he turns 17.

Favorite Features

Reliable workhorse of a truck. Lots of interior cargo space. Fold down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, brakes, interior door handles. When doing tune ups, one of the spark plugs is a real bear to get at due to the positioning of one of the A/C components.

Great truck
By will

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have had it for over a year. It has over 250,000 miles on it. Changed radius arm bushing and oil changes that's about it goes. Everywhere wouldn't give it up for the world.

Favorite Features

never stops running

Suggested Improvements

locks and windows

Worth It!
By WeatherWoman1285

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought this truck in 2005 after originally wanting an Expedition, but I absolutely love it. I am still driving it but am looking for something new. It got me through college several states from home and a huge move for a new job even more states away from home. It has been very dependable, however it is just getting old and many small annoying things are starting to go wrong with it. For spending most of its life in Midwest winters it has surprisingly little rust on the body and still looks great. I regret having to get rid of it but it has served its purpose very well and is an extremely comfortable ride. I definitely want to stick with another vehicle about the size of this.

Favorite Features

Auto window down, very little blind spots, feel like you are high off the ground, very comfortable drive, spacey enough to fit passengers comfortably, over all a wonderful vehicle and worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

I have had this vehicle for so long and all of the things that went wrong with it were simply age things so I can't really complain about that. As far as vehicle comfort and mechanics go, I don't think I have anything negative to say.

Costly
By Connie

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

Started off great then one by one things started to fall apart. Trans has gone out twice and that was the last straw. Brakes are costly to maintain since it is 4WD and the interior door panels are poor quality. Air and heat keep going strong. Not very economical as far as gas is concerned--never got over 14 mpg. I would never buy one new, I'd go with something else entirely.

Favorite Features

Power seats and windows and locks. Cold air and good heat.

Suggested Improvements

Inside door panels better quality and better gas mileage

Love my truck
By D. Simmons

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased my truck with 186000 miles. It now has 262000 miles on it. I've had to replace the computer, rad.,blower motor, frost plug and window clips. It now needs a transmission. I still love my truck. It has been a very reliable truck. It has been used by all members of my family. I am sad to finally give up my truck. If I could I would replace the tranmisson. Thumbs up to 1994 Ford Explorers.

Favorite Features

4wd, Seats, roomy interior, visibility, comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

vacuum lines,window clips

Great Truck
By Josh

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck with around 230,000 miles on it wondering what i was getting myself into. This truck is great. Great in the snow, always starts, great sound system, lots of cargo room, feels like I'm sitting on a lazy boy driving around, it is so smooth. The car has also aged gracefully. I had to make a few minor repairs but that is to expected with such an old vehicle. The gas milage is not great but you can't control gas prices. I love the truck overall and it is still going strong after 300,000. I'm going to hold on to this truck as long as I can. The front seats have so much room so much better than riding in a 2010 sardin can.

Favorite Features

Sound system, power everything you can think of, sun roof, leather seats, tons of room, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage

So Far So Good
By Matt

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this as a winter vehicle. Wasn't looking for an Explorer but the price was good ($2,400) for what I got. 119K miles, ZERO rust (rare for Northeast Pennsylvania), and no fluid leaks. The underside is unexpectedly clean. So far I had to put in an AC comp. clutch, steering bushings, EGR sensor and front rotors. I also replaced the horrible stock speakers. I've heard horror stories about the tranny (main concern before buying) so I bought an extended warranty. Mine is OK except when its cold reverse takes a second or 2. Going to change the fluid. It has push button 4WD but manual hubs... replaced before I bought. That's another common problem, so I've heard. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Favorite Features

Styling... liked it ever since watching Jurassic Park as a kid. Simple interior with nice touches (courtesy lights). No airbags. Not a crossover or cute ute but a true SUV that can go off the beaten path if needed (A rarity these days). Plenty of space. Ride height. Handles better than expected.

Suggested Improvements

More power... the 302 V8 in the 1996-2001 would do nicely. Powered versus manual sunroof. Reading lights in sunroof equipped models. Lit power switches. Can't gripe about the MPG as I have a Cobalt as a daily driver. Bigger glove box.

1994 Ford Explorer
By Joe60152

1994 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck right after high school and it has been very reliable. The only problems i've had are the ball joints which i've done twice along with the right radius arm bushing that like to get hard,fall apart and make a really annoying squeaking noise due to it being so close to the catalytic converter. I suggest if replacing Napa makes a high heat style bushing i put 2 regular bushings in 50000 miles before finally replacing it the last time with the high heat and have not had a problem in 80000 miles since. I have had no major problems with this truck it now has 245000 and it still runs good on or off road

Great Midsize SUV
By smack650

1994 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been nothing but happy with my 94 XL V6 Explorer. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Great in the snow, on the beach, or in the mud. She has 148,000 miles on her and she runs like a champ. I've never had any problems although I have heard about transmissions going out after 100,000 miles so I changed all the fluid in the tranny, and the torque converter when I hit that mark. I will probably change it out every 4th or 5th oil change (which I do every 3,000 miles like clockwork) from here on out.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, durable, nice ride,plenty of room for gear of any sport or hobby, ie snowboarding, golfing, dirt bike riding, wakeboarding, etc.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is not the greatest, but its an SUV, you don't buy them for gas mileage, you buy them to haul people, things, or tow stuff