1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
explorer experience was terrible
By eddiejoe on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

after buying what was rated by CR as a "good buy," I've had nothing but trouble from this 1994 sport model. The undercarriage is rusting out, the tranny went out twice, the ignition module has been replaced twice, windshield washer motors replaced, ac gives out, emissions equipment no longer will pass smog requirements and so on... Without a warranty I would have paid twice for this vehicle, oh did I mention that I had to replace the firestones before the recall was established?

Sporty old 2 dr explorer
By Rosy on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This little thing has done very well under some rather tough usage. It's actually quick and fun to drive - not at all like it's 4 door big brother who turns like a boat and rocks and rolls over bumps like an elephant -but he does hold more stuff! Keep up the maintance and little things do go wrong, but.. it will hang in there.

What a steel
By craiger on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

One and only owner. 88000 miles and going. Did all the routine maintenances, but did replaced both radial arm bushings, breaks, shocks and took cared Manual transmission problem a couple of years ago... in addition to the two new batteries and two sets of new tires (one was recalled Firestone). Truck don't always get good grip in the rain. Will keep it for a while longer.

ole faithful
By kil on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

ordered it brand new from the factory and have not been disappointed since. Had to put a new slave cylinder in and change the cluth, bit thats it!! Peolple have mentioned that the brakes burn out too quick, well, that's when the lifetime replacement guarantee at Firestone comes in handy. 94,000 and starts everytime I turn the key. The most dependable vehicle a person could ask for. when I finish driving this one into the ground, I could only be so lucky to find something as ole faithful. All in all, a great truck.

Still Goin' Strong
By morfman on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This baby has 130,000+ miles and runs as good as the day I bought it. Nary a speck of rust for being exposed to road salt every winter. Mostly rides like a truck, but handles nice. V-6 runs smooth, but sluggish on hills. Replaced both radial arm bushings, breaks, shocks. Manual trany leaks a little oil. I'm keeping it a while longer. I hate new car payments.

don't buy
By fordowner1 on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I had to pay for this vehicle basically twice. I put 2 transmittions and one clutch in it. The vehicle still rides rough. Has many other minor problems. Overall, worst vehicle I ever bought.

114K and still going
By rhlucius on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Has been a reliable truck. The ride is rough, but the engine still has plenty of pep on good days!

they don't build them like this anymore
By tommmy d on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This is by fat one of the best cars made. I have beaten the junk out of this explorer and it just keeps on running. The clutch was replaced at 128000 after younger brother learned to drive on it. Every thing else in the car is still factory and working great.