1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great truck
By will on 09/03/10 19:42 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have had it for over a year. It has over 250,000 miles on it. Changed radius arm bushing and oil changes that's about it goes. Everywhere wouldn't give it up for the world.

1994 Ford Explorer
By Hugo on 11/06/08 11:17 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Let me start off with the bad issues. The first thing I have to say is that the interior door handle design is the worst ever. I've seen many Explorers witht broken handles. Next, I hear a slight lifter knock from the engine. At first I thought I'd just drive it until the engine gives out then do a total valve job, well yeah that was 100k miles ago and hasn't caused any major issues, just annoying once in awhile. Well other than that the car has been fantastic. I just recently changed the radiator and fuel pump just for peace of mind since the car now has 333,000 miles on it and I figured it was time. I really think it could of gone longer but I sometimes use the car the take my 1 yr.

Satisfied Explorer
By triple_tap on 05/28/05 09:58 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We bought this vehicle to move across the country with, and in hopes that it would last us without any problems for the 3 years I am in law school. 2 years down, 1 to go and the only thing of any consequence was replacing the brakes! Very satisfied with this vehicle.

Loyal Explorer Owner
By TPC on 12/03/04 22:32 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my 1994 Explorer XLT about 10 years ago and still enjoy driving it. It has a sunroof and manual transmission which makes it fun. It currently has 130,000 miles. Had some problems with the power windows. The steering rod is loose but nothing too serious. I've had some instances where the car wouldn't start (engine turns). If I let it sit for a few minutes, it will usually start up. I've had the engine quit a few times while driving, now that was scary. These problems just started happening in the past couple years. Probably just due to old age and my frugality in getting the car repaired correctly.

The Old Green Mare
By Newey on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

150,000 miles and still going strong

It's a Ford
By CoveredWagon on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

We bought our explorer with 35k and it now has 109k. It creaks, squeaks, rattles, and bangs like a covered wagon. Interior fit and finish is horrible. Door handles break off, the sunroof leaks, pwr windows stopped working. However, as long as you run super unleaded and do regular maint it hums like a sewing machine. The normal mech repairs were cheap to accomplish and it is plenty roomy. It has gotten the job done with very little excitement but also at very little cost.

stay away
By FORD explains it all on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

overall, this explorer has lasted me a year,so far, and it's been in the shop three times already. hubs went bad, wheel seals went bad, new motor put in & it's now needing another new motor and a tranny. these are for the money bags of the us because youll need it to keep it on the road. oh and dont take them on the interstate b/c the engine light comes on frequently! nowhere else!

195K and its still ticking
By UncleVic on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This is a great family vehicle. Spacious interior, comfortable long rides. Rebuilt heads @ 150K, liftgate air struts replaced, but otherwise very strong. Power good but not exciting.

179k Miles... so far.
By Slumlord on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This has been the best car anyone in my family has ever had. Bought for $7000 with about 30k on it, still going very strong. Has to replace the water pump at about 100k, aside from that only gas, oil, tires, brake pads and love have gone into the car. Gets 23 MPG or so (no joke drove from pittsburgh to indy on 3/4 of a tank), heat is hot and A/C is cold. Very strong acceleration and plenty of room to pack friends in.

94Explorer
By fordowner on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

147,000 and still kicking. I've used the trcuk for Family outings, long trips, boat towing, hunting and fishing trips, other than a few sets of tires and brakes, I've replaced nothing. I'm religious about oil changes and have done them every 5,000 miles, which is inbetween what Frod recommneds for light (7,000) and Heavy (3,000) duty use, but the engine still runs strong and the A/C will still freeeze you out ! I'm about to get a 2003, so I hope I have the same experience !