1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great Midsize SUV
By smack650 on 07/12/09 09:15 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been nothing but happy with my 94 XL V6 Explorer. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Great in the snow, on the beach, or in the mud. She has 148,000 miles on her and she runs like a champ. I've never had any problems although I have heard about transmissions going out after 100,000 miles so I changed all the fluid in the tranny, and the torque converter when I hit that mark. I will probably change it out every 4th or 5th oil change (which I do every 3,000 miles like clockwork) from here on out.

Wish I'd bought the extended warranty
By R on 10/04/06 21:11 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it used. With all the necessary repairs, the extended warranty would have helped. So much expensive repair work was needed that I would have been better off buying a new SUV. 4 wheel drive went out soon after purchase, engine sensor was very expensive, door wouldn't open and another door handle was going too, transmission went out too. Add me to the list of folks who will never buy another Ford product.

94 XL 4dr Explorer
By steve on 04/07/06 22:06 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

An awesome SUV, great off road and in the snow. Only qualms are fuel economy, stiff ride, and lack of power.

1994 Ford Explorer
By VanDriver on 03/15/02 09:12 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

4WD needed repairs. Otherwise, normal routine maintenance.