Used 1994 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
Great truck
By will

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I have had it for over a year. It has over 250,000 miles on it. Changed radius arm bushing and oil changes that's about it goes. Everywhere wouldn't give it up for the world.

Favorite Features

never stops running

Suggested Improvements

locks and windows

A Solid, Reliable Truck. 1994 Ford Explorer Sport, 2 DR, Auto
By yragsapo

1994 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1994 Ford Explorer Sport in May, 1994 and it has been pretty reliable over the years. I'd have to say it's weakest point has been its tranny, which required rebuilds in Jan '00, Dec '02 and another one now, as I write this. This is with the trailer towing package with the auxiliary tranny cooler, though I never towed anything with the truck. There have been other parts that have been changed over the years, but not at a faster rate than one would expect. I have to admit though, If I didn't have GEICO's mechanical breakdown coverage, I probably wouldn't have this truck still. I'm grandfathered in under the old plan that was offerred in NY with unlimited time and mileage (I pay the 1st $250 of any major repair). They will total the vehicle if the repair is over 75% of appraised value, which is around $2000 for my truck. All the talk of the repairs aside, this truck has been my companion for 17 years and I consider it a part of me. We've explored all over this country together and I'm determined to see its 250K mile "birthday" in the next couple of years, when I can tell people it's driven the distance to the moon (and not at the closest point in its orbit). At $223,500 now. I would also like to see my 14 y/o learn to drive in this truck when he turns 17.

Favorite Features

Reliable workhorse of a truck. Lots of interior cargo space. Fold down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, brakes, interior door handles. When doing tune ups, one of the spark plugs is a real bear to get at due to the positioning of one of the A/C components.

WORTH IT!
By jawmonkey1

1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it 3 years ago at an auction for $200 with a badly rebuilt engine. They the put the head gaskets in upside down. Replaced all the rings and the bearings on a fresh block and all new gaskets. Most of the outer engine parts where original. Since then we've replaced water pump, alternator, battery, plugs,plug wires,clutch fan,ball joints,tires,radius arm bushings,door panel,MAF,Fuel filter,and clutch. Much of this was because I wanted it to perform at it's best.Would have did just fine without it. The gas mileage on the 5speed manual 4.0V6 is 18/20 City /22/26 Highway. But for 200 bucks this was a deal. Makes it from Phoenix to Denver no problem. Reliable and fun! Great on gas and roomy!

Favorite Features

Push Button 4X4. Roof Rack. Rear window and hatch open one or the other or both. Ground Clearance. Electric everything but seats. Cruise Control

Suggested Improvements

Transmission. Don't have the flywheel turned get a new one! 2nd gear synthesizers hate people in general on all Fords. Goes in but not easily. Urethane radius arm bushings.

Costly
By Connie

1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

Started off great then one by one things started to fall apart. Trans has gone out twice and that was the last straw. Brakes are costly to maintain since it is 4WD and the interior door panels are poor quality. Air and heat keep going strong. Not very economical as far as gas is concerned--never got over 14 mpg. I would never buy one new, I'd go with something else entirely.

Favorite Features

Power seats and windows and locks. Cold air and good heat.

Suggested Improvements

Inside door panels better quality and better gas mileage

Worth It!
By WeatherWoman1285

1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought this truck in 2005 after originally wanting an Expedition, but I absolutely love it. I am still driving it but am looking for something new. It got me through college several states from home and a huge move for a new job even more states away from home. It has been very dependable, however it is just getting old and many small annoying things are starting to go wrong with it. For spending most of its life in Midwest winters it has surprisingly little rust on the body and still looks great. I regret having to get rid of it but it has served its purpose very well and is an extremely comfortable ride. I definitely want to stick with another vehicle about the size of this.

Favorite Features

Auto window down, very little blind spots, feel like you are high off the ground, very comfortable drive, spacey enough to fit passengers comfortably, over all a wonderful vehicle and worth the money.

Suggested Improvements

I have had this vehicle for so long and all of the things that went wrong with it were simply age things so I can't really complain about that. As far as vehicle comfort and mechanics go, I don't think I have anything negative to say.