Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By Cliff on
1993 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV
Overall, a terrific vehicle that has taken me faithfully for 13 years and 150,000 miles from Canada's Yukon to New Mexico - and a lot of rough places in between. I've hauled scuba gear, sea kayaks, mountain bikes, fishing boats and moved three houses with this vehicle. I've even slept in the back of it on many occasions. It has never failed to start and never let me down on the road! Now that's MY definition of a great vehicle. Still with the original engine and transmission; it has needed very few parts. Only in the last year has it needed a new A/C compressor and now a new radiator. Other than that, just routine replacement parts (batteries, tires etc). Still driven daily.
Favorite Features
Tons of leg and headroom for my 6' 7" frame. Good 4x4 capabilities (but not a serious off-road vehicle). Solid and secure on sheet ice and mountain snow. Still looks good enough to take the wife out on the town on Saturday night. Build quality & paintwork are exceptional. Interior has stood up well.
Suggested Improvements
160 HP V-6 engine has only just enough power - really needs another 100 HP. No air bags in '93. Most bizarre problem: this car EATS windshield wipers! I have to replace mine every 3 months. I have applied dozens of glass treatments and bought the most expensive blades. They STILL squeal!