1993 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Tee's Blessing
By tisha on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

I love my Suv because of the spacious room, everyone rides so comfortably. I love the comfort of sitting up high and knowing that I have something to ride on that I can depend on. I love the body style and it is built solid.

Great SUV
By TheJMan on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

The first-gen Ford Explorer is a great vehicle in many ways. First off, it is very reliable. We have had our Explorer for over 10 years, and it has only needed a new AC compressor and a transmission rebuild. Other than that, all it needs is scheduled maintenance. The ride is a bit on the harsh side, but it is manageable and surprisingly good off-road.

hey now
By fgdsfds fdsafds on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

It does all things well. What more do you want for this kind of price?

10 years later and Exlporer is still #1
By jpneuf on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV 4WD

My Explorer is 10 years old now and will soon be off to an auction. It's with a heavy heart that I say good-bye to an old friend who has been with me through so many adventures. Ford can be proud of their Explorer. Time and time again I found myself driving through several feet of snow with ease and confidence. Even as the years passed and the miles mounted, my Explorer was ready for any challege. The vehicle is solid, runs smooth, has good power. I often wonder why Ford had to put a V8 in tghe newer Explorers? What do people need with all that power? I can't think of anything one would do with a V8 that the old V6 couldn't do with ease. Way to go Ford!

'93 Ford Explorer - Fun to Drive
By RGFalter on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The Explorer was very reliable, however, brake design was poor. Had number of service calls due to brake problems.

Overall Average Reliability
By hockey_fan28 on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

A pretty good vehicle overall, but does show signs of age after 7 years old. Engine power is not great, but it's enjoyable to ride in.

Bill's Review
By Bill2 on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Great design, extremely reliable.

163K
By fuzzywuz on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Good SUV until the transmission went out @ 163,000. But that should be expected. Before that barely any problems to mention.

XLT is worth it
By Matt Parker on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I found it to be very clean running, fuel efficiant (13 miles per gallon) with manual five-speed, and a 4.0 Liter V6 Engine. The engine has never given me problems. All I ever get is compliments on how confortable and smooth the ride was from passengers. Cargo space, the rear seats fold down which gives out about 6+ feet of room. Although the seats do not fold down all the way, leaving you with a bed that slants at 10 degrees. The paint fades. So, a wax job is needed after cleaning the truck at least every week. The truck is small enough to fit tigh spaces and has a tight turning radius. While still having tons of room for cargo and passengers.

Still going ... !
By BooFred on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 93' XLT with 157,000 miles on it. I'm up to 211,000 with absolutely no problems. Even with 7" of lift, 33" tires and alot of performance and handling upgrades, she still screams. Those 4.0L motors won't quit.