Used 1993 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By Cliff

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, a terrific vehicle that has taken me faithfully for 13 years and 150,000 miles from Canada's Yukon to New Mexico - and a lot of rough places in between. I've hauled scuba gear, sea kayaks, mountain bikes, fishing boats and moved three houses with this vehicle. I've even slept in the back of it on many occasions. It has never failed to start and never let me down on the road! Now that's MY definition of a great vehicle. Still with the original engine and transmission; it has needed very few parts. Only in the last year has it needed a new A/C compressor and now a new radiator. Other than that, just routine replacement parts (batteries, tires etc). Still driven daily.

Tons of leg and headroom for my 6' 7" frame. Good 4x4 capabilities (but not a serious off-road vehicle). Solid and secure on sheet ice and mountain snow. Still looks good enough to take the wife out on the town on Saturday night. Build quality & paintwork are exceptional. Interior has stood up well.

160 HP V-6 engine has only just enough power - really needs another 100 HP. No air bags in '93. Most bizarre problem: this car EATS windshield wipers! I have to replace mine every 3 months. I have applied dozens of glass treatments and bought the most expensive blades. They STILL squeal!

keeps on truckin'
By jaykva

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Just spent the day looking at newer, used SUVs and this '93 XLT remains with us. At 175K miles moved from DC to New Mexico, loaded down with stuff, dogs and clamshell on roof and got 21 MPG (cruise set on 70). Tranny died a week later, but that's to be expected (hey, it got us here!). $1800 rebuild was worth it. Still leaks no oil at 186K miles. Sure, the gas gauge has never worked, but that's about my only complaint, use the trip meter. Put new tires on it and rides much better. Original A/C compressor still works. Should go 250K for me or someone else, easily. Compared with newer Acura and Trooper SUVs and it wasn't much of an upgrade to spend between $6K-$10K more on a newer, used SUV.

4.0L V6 ... darn near indestructible. Amazed it still takes no oil. A couple of bad snow storms in DC in early '00s were absolutely no problem with this rig.

Gas gauge on ours never worked. Mother-in-law had a '91 and gauge never worked for her either. Her '91 died with lack of maintenance at 205K miles ... ours should go 250K miles.

Bulletproof, reliable truck
By AdmiralHappy

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Just hit 223,000 miles with no major issues. Radiator replaced by shop after being damaged by mechanic, but other than that, all original parts. Regularly serviced. As a valet, I've had plenty of competition to compare my car to, and have found the 1st generation Explorers to be one of the most agile and reliable vehicles around. I've parked a couple of Explorers with over 500,000 miles with original engine and transmission, and the owners still ... and mine feels like it could go as long, too! Exterior in good shape, some dings and dents but paint holds up well ... interior in even better shape, looks ten years younger than it is. Gas mileage is lackluster, but hey, no vehicle is perfect.

Engine is bulletproof... I've never heard of one of these 4.0L giving anyone any grief. I'm sure it's happened, but it must be rare. Interior is much better quality than some Fords five and ten years newer. 4WD still works, handling is superb for an SUV. Overall quality and reliability is amazing.

I've driven the newer Explorers quite a bit, and Ford has definitely ironed out some of the little quirks, but the newer vehicles are much bigger and have lost a decent amount of agility, offsetting the space gain. Wish my car had airbags, a better stereo, better gas mileage ... still a great car!

EXCELLENT EXPLORER
By Fishin_Fool

1993 Ford Explorer XL 4dr SUV

Bought my Explorer two years old. I am the 2nd owner. Have had all upkeep maintenance done by certified Ford mechanic. Other than tires, oil changes, 1 brake job, and alignment. I have had ZERO problems with this unit. 156,000 miles all over WA, Idaho, and Canada fishing with NO failures to start. Never left me stranded ever. Have used Mobile 1 oil religiously and almost no where on internal engine parts. WHAT A TRUCK. I will drive it till it rusts from beneath me.

4x4 works always. Rugged. Dependable. Factory tow hitch. Gets my boat where I wanna fish.

Console up front. 16 inch wheels standard. Onstar.

takes a lickin'
By TAKES A LICKIN'

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This truck is amazing - except for rebuilding the transmission and some problems with window motors, the car is in great shape; very versatile, seats myself and three children great, with room to spare. The ride is a little rough, but all in all, very good vehicle. Considered buying new, but decided to work on it and keep it for the long haul.

Fold down seats, rear flip window.

if you're looking to upgrade your look, add some nice rims - makes the truck shine.