Used 1993 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great vehicle
By Katrina woiten

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used with 27k on it in 1995, AC compressor died at 60k, no issues with gauges and the radio still worked when I sold it this summer with 106k on it, now with the economy the way it is I wish I had kept it! You can't go wrong finding a used older Explorer. New ones are too big! Lost their nimble driving charecteristics.

Make them simpler and smaller like these old ones!

Good Car
By BK

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Fun to drive and not many problems until my flexplate broke, now I've been through three in the last year, so I dunno what I'll have to do, but it's a great vehicle, just has poor gas mileage and the acceleration on the highway isn't too great.

Interior is great, driveability, and visibility

Stronger engine

Okay used suv
By marcopolozx11

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this Explorer for a winter beater, and so far so good. Fuel mileage really stinks though. I do roadside assistance for a living, so I really dislike the poor fuel mileage.

Leather seats (fully adjustable) great heater..

Not found on road dead
By LMS

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I woud say that this SUV has proven it is reliable and durable. I put over 400,000 miles on the vehicle in 10 years. The mechanical difficulties that I encountere were to do with the breaks and the roaters. I have replaced them 3 times. The engine has been very reliable. It has been comfortable to ride in. I do not like the rear seat and the shortness of the back for neck support, but for some this is not an issue. I would have liked the seats to fold down compleatly for hauling purposes. The leather has held up and is just now begining to crack and tear in some places. The gas mileage is ok, but could be better. My Explorer was never found on road dead.

It was reliable.

The brakes and rotors were always a problem with needing to be replaced. The push button 4 wheel drive also broke early on. The back seat needed to lay flat and it needed to offer better neck support.

At 209,000+ Miles, Still a Great Car
By explorereb98

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents gave me this car as a graduation gift in 2004 and it had 146,000 miles at the time. It was a great car for me and it took everything I threw at it. It never left me stranded and other than the usual mechanical issues that come with a car with around 150,000 miles, it was all in all a great car. I just traded it in for a 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and hope that this one is as good as the other.

Very comfortable for a big and tall guy. Leather seats are big and nice for those long road trip. The 4.0 V6 is a workhorse and very reliable. Very tough and feels safe to drive. Heated mirrors are nice on those winter mornings.

The 4.0 lacks power. Tends to rust under the side steps. I like the two tone look of the Eddie Bauer better, but the limited isn't too bad either.