1993 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great vehicle
By Katrina woiten on 11/20/08 16:47 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this used with 27k on it in 1995, AC compressor died at 60k, no issues with gauges and the radio still worked when I sold it this summer with 106k on it, now with the economy the way it is I wish I had kept it! You can't go wrong finding a used older Explorer. New ones are too big! Lost their nimble driving charecteristics.

Good Car
By BK on 03/12/08 23:45 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Fun to drive and not many problems until my flexplate broke, now I've been through three in the last year, so I dunno what I'll have to do, but it's a great vehicle, just has poor gas mileage and the acceleration on the highway isn't too great.

Okay used suv
By marcopolozx11 on 11/10/07 09:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this Explorer for a winter beater, and so far so good. Fuel mileage really stinks though. I do roadside assistance for a living, so I really dislike the poor fuel mileage.

Not found on road dead
By LMS on 08/16/07 20:49 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I woud say that this SUV has proven it is reliable and durable. I put over 400,000 miles on the vehicle in 10 years. The mechanical difficulties that I encountere were to do with the breaks and the roaters. I have replaced them 3 times. The engine has been very reliable. It has been comfortable to ride in. I do not like the rear seat and the shortness of the back for neck support, but for some this is not an issue. I would have liked the seats to fold down compleatly for hauling purposes. The leather has held up and is just now begining to crack and tear in some places. The gas mileage is ok, but could be better. My Explorer was never found on road dead.

At 209,000+ Miles, Still a Great Car
By explorereb98 on 05/18/07 12:58 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents gave me this car as a graduation gift in 2004 and it had 146,000 miles at the time. It was a great car for me and it took everything I threw at it. It never left me stranded and other than the usual mechanical issues that come with a car with around 150,000 miles, it was all in all a great car. I just traded it in for a 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and hope that this one is as good as the other.

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By Cliff on 05/03/06 15:59 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, a terrific vehicle that has taken me faithfully for 13 years and 150,000 miles from Canada's Yukon to New Mexico - and a lot of rough places in between. I've hauled scuba gear, sea kayaks, mountain bikes, fishing boats and moved three houses with this vehicle. I've even slept in the back of it on many occasions. It has never failed to start and never let me down on the road! Now that's MY definition of a great vehicle. Still with the original engine and transmission; it has needed very few parts. Only in the last year has it needed a new A/C compressor and now a new radiator. Other than that, just routine replacement parts (batteries, tires etc). Still driven daily.

keeps on truckin'
By jaykva on 01/29/06 11:43 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Just spent the day looking at newer, used SUVs and this '93 XLT remains with us. At 175K miles moved from DC to New Mexico, loaded down with stuff, dogs and clamshell on roof and got 21 MPG (cruise set on 70). Tranny died a week later, but that's to be expected (hey, it got us here!). $1800 rebuild was worth it. Still leaks no oil at 186K miles. Sure, the gas gauge has never worked, but that's about my only complaint, use the trip meter. Put new tires on it and rides much better. Original A/C compressor still works. Should go 250K for me or someone else, easily. Compared with newer Acura and Trooper SUVs and it wasn't much of an upgrade to spend between $6K-$10K more on a newer, used SUV.

Bulletproof, reliable truck
By AdmiralHappy on 01/17/06 17:04 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Just hit 223,000 miles with no major issues. Radiator replaced by shop after being damaged by mechanic, but other than that, all original parts. Regularly serviced. As a valet, I've had plenty of competition to compare my car to, and have found the 1st generation Explorers to be one of the most agile and reliable vehicles around. I've parked a couple of Explorers with over 500,000 miles with original engine and transmission, and the owners still ... and mine feels like it could go as long, too! Exterior in good shape, some dings and dents but paint holds up well ... interior in even better shape, looks ten years younger than it is. Gas mileage is lackluster, but hey, no vehicle is perfect.

EXCELLENT EXPLORER
By Fishin_Fool on 11/14/05 17:32 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

Bought my Explorer two years old. I am the 2nd owner. Have had all upkeep maintenance done by certified Ford mechanic. Other than tires, oil changes, 1 brake job, and alignment. I have had ZERO problems with this unit. 156,000 miles all over WA, Idaho, and Canada fishing with NO failures to start. Never left me stranded ever. Have used Mobile 1 oil religiously and almost no where on internal engine parts. WHAT A TRUCK. I will drive it till it rusts from beneath me.

takes a lickin'
By TAKES A LICKIN' on 06/07/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

This truck is amazing - except for rebuilding the transmission and some problems with window motors, the car is in great shape; very versatile, seats myself and three children great, with room to spare. The ride is a little rough, but all in all, very good vehicle. Considered buying new, but decided to work on it and keep it for the long haul.