Used 1993 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

'93 Explorer at 382K Miles
By Tom

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

Our '93 Explorer XLT 2WD 4door just reached 382K miles--Have replaced wear items such as brakes, spark plugs, shocks (1X) and replaced plug wires (2X)--Am currently on second after-OEM A/C (live in FL, use the A/C 11 1/2 months per year)--Have replaced first after-OEM alternator--tranny rebuilt at 325K miles and replaced head gasket around 275K--Haven't touched any suspension parts--have had two after-OEM water pumps and just replaced heater core--Now, I think the radiator split; it is the first after-OEM radiator--

His Trash, My Treasure
By jESSe

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Explorer from a Quality Auto and they thought they were going to beat me, that I was just a dumb college kid. It was making a funny sound and everyone thought it was the tranny. I paid 1000 down and was willing to take the risk. Turns out it was only the ball joints. I love the car it has a smooth ride, and AC after 16 years. I'm happy and wouldn't trade it.

Favorite Features

Power everything, AC, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Underneath is very rusty and lots of people complain about the same thing.

My first SUV
By MommaS810

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently had my car repoed and needed something to get me around. I found a guy selling an Explorer and jumped at the offer. I couldn't refuse the price. It has some body rust but nothing major. The previous owner put 2k of work into it and and the shocks are too small for the vehicle. The gas pedal eases to the floor and the back hatch handle is very tough. Other than the suspension and brake issue, it just needs a loving owner and a nice new oil filter...My biggest general complaint would be gas mileage, but I guess being 16 yrs old, it was top of the line then.

Favorite Features

Power everything, including head lamps and seats.

Suggested Improvements

I miss the explorer being a smaller SUV. Now you might as well just be driving a semi. Also the gas mileage on the highway.

Runs great!
By kornkid010

1993 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck about six months ago because I needed something that does not get stuck in the snow or mud.I put some Dayton Timberline A/T tires on and it gets thought the snow and mud great. We had a freak snow storm that gave us two feet of snow and I was able to pull several people out of the ditch, including another SUV. No, the 4.0 does not make it fast, but she is able to tow what I want and go where I want. Half the door handles are missing and some of the windows don't work, but I don't care. There was also an added tow package when i bought it, which is an added bonus.

Favorite Features

push button 4x4. Automatic seats.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a bigger engine. maybe some front tow hooks like lots of other SUVs.

Keep on rolling baby!
By doratheexplorer

1993 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

212,000 miles. Doesn't leak or burn oil. Just hauled a 4,000 pound trailer from VA to NC at 70 mph with no problems. 4x4 works great. Have had to replace door handles twice, and headlamps finally got so bad I needed new ones. Besides that it's been batteries, tires, oil, brakes and a kiss every now and then. I love this truck and will have it till the wheels fall off. But then I'll probably put them back on and just keep rolling baby!

Favorite Features

Push button 4x4, roomy, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger motor for the mpg's. Window motors getting weak, but other than that it's bulletproof!