1993 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
The Green Machine
By The Green Machine on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Great ca! with about 147,000 miles it still runs good! had to reface ac, but besides that no big problems! love the sound of it when i starts up! ol green rides like a baby! GREAT CAR!

'93 Explorer at 382K Miles
By Tom on 09/20/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Our '93 Explorer XLT 2WD 4door just reached 382K miles--Have replaced wear items such as brakes, spark plugs, shocks (1X) and replaced plug wires (2X)--Am currently on second after-OEM A/C (live in FL, use the A/C 11 1/2 months per year)--Have replaced first after-OEM alternator--tranny rebuilt at 325K miles and replaced head gasket around 275K--Haven't touched any suspension parts--have had two after-OEM water pumps and just replaced heater core--Now, I think the radiator split; it is the first after-OEM radiator--

Keep on rolling baby!
By doratheexplorer on 11/28/08 20:53 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

212,000 miles. Doesn't leak or burn oil. Just hauled a 4,000 pound trailer from VA to NC at 70 mph with no problems. 4x4 works great. Have had to replace door handles twice, and headlamps finally got so bad I needed new ones. Besides that it's been batteries, tires, oil, brakes and a kiss every now and then. I love this truck and will have it till the wheels fall off. But then I'll probably put them back on and just keep rolling baby!

keeps on truckin'
By jaykva on 01/29/06 11:43 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Just spent the day looking at newer, used SUVs and this '93 XLT remains with us. At 175K miles moved from DC to New Mexico, loaded down with stuff, dogs and clamshell on roof and got 21 MPG (cruise set on 70). Tranny died a week later, but that's to be expected (hey, it got us here!). $1800 rebuild was worth it. Still leaks no oil at 186K miles. Sure, the gas gauge has never worked, but that's about my only complaint, use the trip meter. Put new tires on it and rides much better. Original A/C compressor still works. Should go 250K for me or someone else, easily. Compared with newer Acura and Trooper SUVs and it wasn't much of an upgrade to spend between $6K-$10K more on a newer, used SUV.

Bulletproof, reliable truck
By AdmiralHappy on 01/17/06 17:04 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Just hit 223,000 miles with no major issues. Radiator replaced by shop after being damaged by mechanic, but other than that, all original parts. Regularly serviced. As a valet, I've had plenty of competition to compare my car to, and have found the 1st generation Explorers to be one of the most agile and reliable vehicles around. I've parked a couple of Explorers with over 500,000 miles with original engine and transmission, and the owners still ... and mine feels like it could go as long, too! Exterior in good shape, some dings and dents but paint holds up well ... interior in even better shape, looks ten years younger than it is. Gas mileage is lackluster, but hey, no vehicle is perfect.

takes a lickin'
By TAKES A LICKIN' on 06/07/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This truck is amazing - except for rebuilding the transmission and some problems with window motors, the car is in great shape; very versatile, seats myself and three children great, with room to spare. The ride is a little rough, but all in all, very good vehicle. Considered buying new, but decided to work on it and keep it for the long haul.

Great SUV
By TheJMan on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

The first-gen Ford Explorer is a great vehicle in many ways. First off, it is very reliable. We have had our Explorer for over 10 years, and it has only needed a new AC compressor and a transmission rebuild. Other than that, all it needs is scheduled maintenance. The ride is a bit on the harsh side, but it is manageable and surprisingly good off-road.

hey now
By fgdsfds fdsafds on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

It does all things well. What more do you want for this kind of price?

XLT is worth it
By Matt Parker on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I found it to be very clean running, fuel efficiant (13 miles per gallon) with manual five-speed, and a 4.0 Liter V6 Engine. The engine has never given me problems. All I ever get is compliments on how confortable and smooth the ride was from passengers. Cargo space, the rear seats fold down which gives out about 6+ feet of room. Although the seats do not fold down all the way, leaving you with a bed that slants at 10 degrees. The paint fades. So, a wax job is needed after cleaning the truck at least every week. The truck is small enough to fit tigh spaces and has a tight turning radius. While still having tons of room for cargo and passengers.

they got it right
By 3ChordSig on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Got my Explorer used off of a lease, now have 175,000 miles on it, it'll go another 25,000 without too much trouble. I think Ford got this one right, it's a toss up between buying a new one and rebuilding this one!