Used 1993 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

The Green Machine
By The Green Machine

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Great ca! with about 147,000 miles it still runs good! had to reface ac, but besides that no big problems! love the sound of it when i starts up! ol green rides like a baby! GREAT CAR!

Favorite Features

Space, fold down back seats,good turn radius, great radio, great lift

Suggested Improvements

both rear windows dont work, paint is peeling on hood an roof, center console is loose, oil is needed a lot

shouldve bought a chevy
By BRYAN

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought that truck with 100,000 miles on it. At first it was a good truck to drive. Soon after I bought it, the head gaskets blew. I had them replaced and after that the motor had a ticking problem. A few hundred miles later, somehow or another tranny fluid started getting in the crankcase. The first time I changed the oil after the fix, I was dumbfounded. Ihad a 6qt. Oil drain pan and it overflowed it and way more. How does transmission fluid get into the engine?

Great since day one!
By James.Frey

1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this car since day one. Bought it in late 1993, and has been great to us. In 1997 we took it to VA from CA and it was great in the snow and rough terrain. Brought it back to CA in 1999, mechanic I took it to messed up the engine at 50k so we had to have it rebuilt. It now has 91k on it and I drive it as a spare car, but it can go for weeks without being driven and it still goes strong, and starts right up! Design is flawless, shows you what a real american car is all about. Interior is perfect, nice, simple, and comfortable. Drive-terrain: I wish it would have had a 4.5L or 5.0L V8, the 4.0L V6 it has is under powered, and the 4spd Pinto transmission is weak.

Favorite Features

4x4 on the fly, handling, premium sound system, simplicity, easy to drive, great visibility, easy to work on; no complex computer systems or programming.

Suggested Improvements

Underpowered V6, and Pinto Transmission could have been designed better, accl is slow, but once you get it up to your desired speed, its ok.

Great Truck
By DKOVACHJR

1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought my 2nd 93 explorer the first I trade for a sedan and missed my truck finally after 2 yrs of trying to find one that i could afford with money being tight i found one i use mine for haul the family and responding to fire calls the 4.0 does a decent job getting to the station when the tones drop even though she may not be fast the tourque makes up for it I have pulled plenty of down trees out of the roadway and have no doubt that what i hook up to she will pull it. Beware if the 4x4 is not used the power motor for it sticks and you may need to replace it or have someone hold the button and you get under your truck with a hammer and knock on the motor

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, handling in 4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

the push button 4x4 needs to go to a manual stick

a reliable fun suv!!!!
By 351wguy

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a 93" explorer with 103,000. i performed a full tune up and coated the frae with por15 an anti rust paint its at 283,000 and i've never bought a part for it just maintenance . FAULTS.... 4x4 encounters occasional problems shocks (factory) are not the best for towing or off road 4.0L engine lacks power any 93 owner will tell ya about the brakes Pro's extremely rely able engine and trans i speak for the 4+od std frae and body very tough and factory undercoat is A+ EASY TO DRIVE AND OPERATE ALL IN ALL ford ade a very good suv for the year and i a very satisfied with this truck this suv the grand father of the explorer line has set its line in quality 15

Favorite Features

interior creature comforts plenty of cargo roo

Suggested Improvements

if i could go back in tine i would suggest a 4.6L engine ore pulling power a slight difference in power but not a fuel guzzling engine like its big brother the 5.0