1993 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
The Green Machine
By The Green Machine on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Great ca! with about 147,000 miles it still runs good! had to reface ac, but besides that no big problems! love the sound of it when i starts up! ol green rides like a baby! GREAT CAR!

shouldve bought a chevy
By BRYAN on 01/30/10 09:15 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought that truck with 100,000 miles on it. At first it was a good truck to drive. Soon after I bought it, the head gaskets blew. I had them replaced and after that the motor had a ticking problem. A few hundred miles later, somehow or another tranny fluid started getting in the crankcase. The first time I changed the oil after the fix, I was dumbfounded. Ihad a 6qt. Oil drain pan and it overflowed it and way more. How does transmission fluid get into the engine?

Great since day one!
By James.Frey on 11/27/09 10:30 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this car since day one. Bought it in late 1993, and has been great to us. In 1997 we took it to VA from CA and it was great in the snow and rough terrain. Brought it back to CA in 1999, mechanic I took it to messed up the engine at 50k so we had to have it rebuilt. It now has 91k on it and I drive it as a spare car, but it can go for weeks without being driven and it still goes strong, and starts right up! Design is flawless, shows you what a real american car is all about. Interior is perfect, nice, simple, and comfortable. Drive-terrain: I wish it would have had a 4.5L or 5.0L V8, the 4.0L V6 it has is under powered, and the 4spd Pinto transmission is weak.

Great Truck
By DKOVACHJR on 11/21/09 23:37 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought my 2nd 93 explorer the first I trade for a sedan and missed my truck finally after 2 yrs of trying to find one that i could afford with money being tight i found one i use mine for haul the family and responding to fire calls the 4.0 does a decent job getting to the station when the tones drop even though she may not be fast the tourque makes up for it I have pulled plenty of down trees out of the roadway and have no doubt that what i hook up to she will pull it. Beware if the 4x4 is not used the power motor for it sticks and you may need to replace it or have someone hold the button and you get under your truck with a hammer and knock on the motor

a reliable fun suv!!!!
By 351wguy on 11/05/09 15:03 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased a 93" explorer with 103,000. i performed a full tune up and coated the frae with por15 an anti rust paint its at 283,000 and i've never bought a part for it just maintenance . FAULTS.... 4x4 encounters occasional problems shocks (factory) are not the best for towing or off road 4.0L engine lacks power any 93 owner will tell ya about the brakes Pro's extremely rely able engine and trans i speak for the 4+od std frae and body very tough and factory undercoat is A+ EASY TO DRIVE AND OPERATE ALL IN ALL ford ade a very good suv for the year and i a very satisfied with this truck this suv the grand father of the explorer line has set its line in quality 15

'93 Explorer at 382K Miles
By Tom on 09/20/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Our '93 Explorer XLT 2WD 4door just reached 382K miles--Have replaced wear items such as brakes, spark plugs, shocks (1X) and replaced plug wires (2X)--Am currently on second after-OEM A/C (live in FL, use the A/C 11 1/2 months per year)--Have replaced first after-OEM alternator--tranny rebuilt at 325K miles and replaced head gasket around 275K--Haven't touched any suspension parts--have had two after-OEM water pumps and just replaced heater core--Now, I think the radiator split; it is the first after-OEM radiator--

His Trash, My Treasure
By jESSe on 09/12/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my Explorer from a Quality Auto and they thought they were going to beat me, that I was just a dumb college kid. It was making a funny sound and everyone thought it was the tranny. I paid 1000 down and was willing to take the risk. Turns out it was only the ball joints. I love the car it has a smooth ride, and AC after 16 years. I'm happy and wouldn't trade it.

My first SUV
By MommaS810 on 05/24/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently had my car repoed and needed something to get me around. I found a guy selling an Explorer and jumped at the offer. I couldn't refuse the price. It has some body rust but nothing major. The previous owner put 2k of work into it and and the shocks are too small for the vehicle. The gas pedal eases to the floor and the back hatch handle is very tough. Other than the suspension and brake issue, it just needs a loving owner and a nice new oil filter...My biggest general complaint would be gas mileage, but I guess being 16 yrs old, it was top of the line then.

Runs great!
By kornkid010 on 04/15/09 18:24 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck about six months ago because I needed something that does not get stuck in the snow or mud.I put some Dayton Timberline A/T tires on and it gets thought the snow and mud great. We had a freak snow storm that gave us two feet of snow and I was able to pull several people out of the ditch, including another SUV. No, the 4.0 does not make it fast, but she is able to tow what I want and go where I want. Half the door handles are missing and some of the windows don't work, but I don't care. There was also an added tow package when i bought it, which is an added bonus.

Keep on rolling baby!
By doratheexplorer on 11/28/08 20:53 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

212,000 miles. Doesn't leak or burn oil. Just hauled a 4,000 pound trailer from VA to NC at 70 mph with no problems. 4x4 works great. Have had to replace door handles twice, and headlamps finally got so bad I needed new ones. Besides that it's been batteries, tires, oil, brakes and a kiss every now and then. I love this truck and will have it till the wheels fall off. But then I'll probably put them back on and just keep rolling baby!