Used 1992 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Love my Explorer
By CarpeDiem1st

1992 Ford Explorer XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I owned a new 4dr '93 Eddie Baurer 4 x 4 w/ the works. It was to big for me. I got a '95 2dr. 4x4 xlt. Nothing fancy but reliability & handling has been wonderful. These vehicles are just the right height & sz. for handling and to put in the garage. My vehicle will die before I give it up. I am like where's Waldo, I mountain bike so this vehicle is loaded and unloaded many times a wk. It is off road alot and it has always worked for me. Guess what I'm a lady owner.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the leaner smaller style. No more over kill on sz. the river is down.

Four wheel drive not worth it
By kwhiting

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Not only to I agree with the above review citing TRANSMISSION problems, but I was recently informed that after about 100,000 miles the head has a tentancy to crack due to poor manufacturing. Repairs for this are over $3000, and this was on top of a transmission problem last year and a fuel injection probelm costing over $400 the year before. I rated the confort as fair, that is, when the seat was not falling backward due to a broken screw so far within the seat, it woudl need to be replaced to fix the problem. If you're thinking of buying an Explorer, any year, please look at a Pathfinder or a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Four wheel drive when the "Exploder" is running, it'll plow through any snow, mud, whatever... I do like the trunk space, I could haul anything, and overall appearance is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Recall, recall, recall. Please Ford, start being honest and stand behind your product.

Good, Reliable SUV
By sdgrant

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

My wife purchased it in '92, and I begain driving it in '99 when we met. It had a tranny rebuild at 94K miles (has 114K now), but I hear that's typical. Performance improved when the Air Flow Meter was cleaned (not replaced) recently. We just drove it 1000 miles from LA to Utah and back, 120+ degrees in the desert, A/C blasting, stereo cranked, loaded with camping gear, ran cool & smooth.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better V6, 16-inch wheels.

after 11 years
By Red

1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rides like a hay wagon, sits rattle, no pick-up, parts are made very cheapt

Favorite Features

is an suv

Suggested Improvements

get a complete new suspension system, engine is noisy and should have been made better. brakes should be bigger to stop this heavy vehicle

MY EXPLORER SPORT
By "THE MAN"

1992 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have a 92' explorer spory 4x4 and I love it. I just bought it with under 74000 miles. The only things I have noticed that arent really a big deal arethe engigne is a little weak and The A/C doesnt work and it needs a new power steering pump soon. Not really a big deal but hey, what do you expect from an 11 year old car!!! I LOVE IT!!

Favorite Features

Pretty good sound system for stock. very comforatble seats

Suggested Improvements

NEEDS MORE POWER!!!!!!!