Used 1992 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Think My Explorers Days Are Numbered
By angelb

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought Explorer 21/2 yrs ago with 114000 mls . The transmission had just been replaced everything worked great no leaks. at 136000mls took it on a long road trip broke down, TRANSMISSION again had the front seal repaired cost $500. today at 150000 still having transmission problems,mechanic says these tranmissions are notorious for having problems, radiator needs to be replaced, ac n/o longer works, electrical problems, have replaced starter and other routine maintenence.change the oil every 3000 miles no problems there. we have some rust but in the upper midwest that is to be expected.its a great car for daily driving but wont be taking any more road trips.decent for 150000mls 12yrsold

The leather seats, moonroof, trunk space, push button 4x4,handles good in the snow and ice

TRANSMISSION TRANSMISSION, CHEAP INTERIOR DOOR HANDLES.BETTER FUEL ECONOMY.EXPLORERS STILL HAVING TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS???????

The Explorer Just Keeps Running....
By clarkbaker

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned our Ford Explorer since 1998. The model we bought is a 1992. We purchased it with approx. $75k miles on it. The only thing that has gone srong is an $80 fuel mix sensor. The car is reliable, well designed and has never left us on the side of the road. The car is now 12 years old and has proven as reliable as any car I have owned in the past. The 4x4 capabiltiies have been stronlgy utilized in Lake Tahoe and Reno areas in Summer and Winter. The car was also used to tow a light motor boat to and from the San Francisco Delta area. Ford made a great car that is easy to service and I expect to last into the 200k miles+ range easily.

4x4 ability / Low Range. Storage Space. Passenger and Cargo design. Car handles 'like a truck' but its not so big that you feel like your in a tank.

Personally, they should have a sunroof instead of a moonroof. Too bad they didn't have the V-8 engine in 1992. The V-6 is good.. but this car can do well with this V-8. Apparently Ford agrees as they added it in later years.

Great Ford!
By AaronMAaron

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I bought the Explorer from my sister with 203,000 miles on it. Since I've put 6,000 on it with no problems. In it's 15 year life span the Explorer had only needed maintenance, a muffler, and a transmission...not bad for 209,000 miles. I suggest one for anyone who likes them...great ride.

Everything is in easy reach...plenty of room, and it's comfortable too. Can't beat it.

Gas mileage could be a little better...but what do you expect with an SUV...30 mpg???

k
By wingnutkev

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I enjoy the truck like ride and hieght of the vehical. I also enjoy the capacity for toating everything from dogs to my work equipment. I dislike that I've been through 3 transmissions and that the engine lacks power and acceleration. My vehical has over 200,000 miles and only so much can be expected. It had 120000 miles when I purchased it. It is easy to work on. A few quirks here and there but there hasnt been much on it go that I haven't been able to fix myself.

Storage capacity

Ford did improve the engine and transmission which would be my two largest complaints.

A great SUV
By grit

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in 02, with 60000 miles. I now have 75,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. The only big repair that I have done was had the A/C Compressor replaced and that was only $800. The former owner bought it new and had the oil replaced every 3,000 miles, as I stil do. The engine is not quite powerful enough for me, but it is a reliable vehicle. I would suggest this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable, fun to drive, and basic SUV.

Leather seating surfaces... very sporty leather Reliability Simple towing package... right on the bumper

A better A/C system A more powerful engine Possibly offer a V8 as is offered in newer models