Used 1992 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
A great SUV
By grit

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in 02, with 60000 miles. I now have 75,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. The only big repair that I have done was had the A/C Compressor replaced and that was only $800. The former owner bought it new and had the oil replaced every 3,000 miles, as I stil do. The engine is not quite powerful enough for me, but it is a reliable vehicle. I would suggest this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable, fun to drive, and basic SUV.

Favorite Features

Leather seating surfaces... very sporty leather Reliability Simple towing package... right on the bumper

Suggested Improvements

A better A/C system A more powerful engine Possibly offer a V8 as is offered in newer models

1992 Ford is been a good work house
By John

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the a owner of a 1992 Ford Explorer and have found that the fuel effeciy of the vehicle is very well. I on average get 18-20 around town and have got 26 mpg on the highway but this was using cruise. The truck performance around the farm as been great. It has not gotten stock.The body looks brand new and the truck has nver left me somewere. The truck has 122,000 miles and still get better mph then my new Ford

Favorite Features

4WD and the large space inside

Suggested Improvements

The fuel economy rating is a little low. It should be 19 city and 20 highway because I have calculated if for a whole year and this is the average I came up with

k
By wingnutkev

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I enjoy the truck like ride and hieght of the vehical. I also enjoy the capacity for toating everything from dogs to my work equipment. I dislike that I've been through 3 transmissions and that the engine lacks power and acceleration. My vehical has over 200,000 miles and only so much can be expected. It had 120000 miles when I purchased it. It is easy to work on. A few quirks here and there but there hasnt been much on it go that I haven't been able to fix myself.

Favorite Features

Storage capacity

Suggested Improvements

Ford did improve the engine and transmission which would be my two largest complaints.

Explorer
By tbirdman

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it with 400 000kms in surrey BC, moved to Saskatchewan with it, drive it daily on rough gravel road. Tthe engine runs like new, uses no oil in 2000 miles of driving. Transmission is original and untouched, (fluid changes every 5000 kms help) Motor has never been opened, has K/N air filter,and performance chip. Just put 31" MTs on it (no they don't rub) Will keep driving it until it dies.

Favorite Features

The 4x4 was only limited to my size and kind of tire. Now with 31's it goes everywhere no problem. It's a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I would have gotten one with a V8

Still going at 300,000!
By Jeff

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes! 304,000 miles and still going! The gas mileage is at 14.6 right now. Original engine...replaced transmission four years ago at $1300. A little rust at the rear rocker panels. Clear coat is gone. Seats are just now getting uncomfortable. Replaced the radius arm bushings several times. This has been one good vehicle!

Favorite Features

I like how heavy it is. Craftsmanship inside is a plus. Comfortable. I feel safe driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Radius arm bushings need a better design. I hate to sell it but I cannot take it on the road outside local area based upon the high miles.