1992 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
11 Years and still on the job!
By Storm4343 on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV

A terrific workhorse that has served as a daily driver, sports car, weekend get-away vehicle and utility vehicle. Bought it new and I'm keeping it until it croaks (which I wouldn't think is going to be anytime soon as it is still in great shape).

ford explorer suv
By pat crawford on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV

4.0 engine very poor head desine

Lordy Fordy
By hyfchhhgh on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2dr SUV 4WD

I think that the suv is a great vehicle. It has great manueverablity capabilities and lots of space to move around in. I wouldn't trade it!

Explorer debbie's 1992
By Debra Burkhardt on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 2dr SUV 4WD

I've always loved driving my truck, and look forward tro driving it everytime I get into it. It's been an awesome vehicle that I know someone else will really get as much enjoyment with it, as I do.

Financing FORD through their repairs sho
By Buster Hyman on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

TRANSMISSION TRANSMISSION TRANSMISSION TRANSMISSION!!!! My Explorer is averaging one TRANSMISSION every 35000 miles. While talking to other Explorer's owners and repair shops, I'm one of the luckier ones. FORD knows they have a BIG TRANSMISSION PROBLEM in their Explorers. It seems that they are too embarrassed to admit it and as long as their TRANSMISSION last their warranty they are happy!! What is really funny, this time, FORD wants to sell me and install another company's transmission. I wished they had done that two TRANSMISSIONS ago. Buyers beware. For now I'll just keep on pushing. Buster

highway and off road use
By george henderson on 10/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Ihave used this car in normal driving to distant ski and hiking sites, requiring 4wd in snow butnever driven it off of designated roadways. It has performed admirably and maintenance cost hasbeen reasonable with noi maker breakdowns or replacements required.

didn't get my moneys worth
By jvb on 10/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XL 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had so many problems with ours, from electrical to transmission. In the past year alone we have put over 2500.00 into it and thats mostly just in parts, my husband is able to most of the labor.I would be very leary of purchasing a used Ford again.

230,000 miles and still going strong!!!!
By Explorer Pat on 09/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle for 10 years, have 230,000 miles on it and have only changed the starter and air conditioner compressor!!!! This explorer runs like a charm and I still am not worried to bring it on 200 mile trips.

FUN DRIVE!!
By James 68 on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this explorer for only a month but have put about 1000 miles on it and loved every one of them, I got it with 155,000 mile and it feels like it will easily go 300,000...Ive had it off road twice and it handled great, great job ford did on the explorer!

Not a bad truck
By ironhacker on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 92 4-door XLT 4WD used in 94, and drove the car for 8 years. For the most part, it was reliable and cost-effective. Everything was OK until the 5 speed trasmission developed a slow leak and ran out of fluid, evidently due to a design problem that caused lots of Explorer manual transmissions to fail. There is some kind of issue with the suspension resonating at highway speeds, which was allegedly why Ford recommended the low tire pressures that led to the Firestone fiasco. My Explorer exhibited a little bit of the shaking problem, but it was still acceptable. I got my money's worth out of the truck.